AR 308 Hunting Loads

Hey Pal, I'm retired AF too way back in 2003, I just retired again from Border Patrol 2 years ago. My LWRC REPR 20" would shoot pretty much anything I fed it sub MOA, but it really liked the heavier bullets. I didn't hunt with it though as it was way too doggone heavy to lug around. Two years ago I built a Ghost Gun LR308 with a SOTA arms 80% lower and a complete upper to match. I put an 18" fluted Faxon barrel on it. It's not as light as your SFAR but it's not a tank either. My hog load is Lapua brass, Speer 150SSP, CCI 7.62x51 primers, 43.3gr VHT N133, velocity is 2651 shooting suppressed. It's not a long range Load but it shoots 1/2 in at 100 and kills like poison… easily out to 250, and my thermal has a laser range finder if I need to shoot farther than that.
Much appreciated Air Force. AFSC?

1C571 here. "Scope Dope"

That is interesting. I did not realize that they made the distinction on the 308/7.62x51. I knew about the 223/5.56 but not this. I Had to go check, my DPMS says Cal:308, thats all. My FN FAL, as expected says 7.62mm
I could have swore I shot 7.62x51 in my DPMS without problems.
EDIT: according to SAAMI, 308WIN is rated for higher pressure.
There's about 1500 to 2k max pressure increase the 308win has over the 7.62x51.

There's about 1500 to 2k max pressure increase the 308win has over the 7.62x51.
I read a couple of conflicting numbers for max, that is why I did not specify, but both had the 308W rated higher. I guess I need to be sure my FN FAL is only loaded with 7.62NATO

I have 308win AR10 barrel lengths from 12.5-26". Just started new test loads ranging from 110-185grs. Mostly fmj's for rodent/pest/vermine removal. There are a few varmint bullets and some match bullets also. Nothing to confirm yet. Built weights from 5#9oz to 10#. Wish I had better info for you. With the 26" I expecting to get near 2,750fps with 185gr.

I have 308win AR10 barrel lengths from 12.5-26". Just started new test loads ranging from 110-185grs. Mostly fmj's for rodent/pest/vermine removal. There are a few varmint bullets and some match bullets also. Nothing to confirm yet. Built weights from 5#9oz to 10#. Wish I had better info for you. With the 26" I expecting to get near 2,750fps with 185gr.
Appreciate it.

Just for FYI: Back before the craziness started, I was testing the 308WIN is a bolt gun. Loaded 20 rounds varget, and 20 rounds RL15, with 168 Grn Sierra Tipped Match King. Only shot the ones with RL15. I was getting 2600 FPS with 43.5grn RL15 and Rem 9/12 Primer, Federal cases. Rifel was M70, 20" barrel.
I never finished developing this load, or trying in the DPMS

Where were you stationed?
Keesler, Dover, Osan ROK, Myrtle Beach, Wright Pat, Dyess. I retrained from Air Traffic Control and Landing Systems into Wide-band/SATCOM in the middle of my career but all those assignments were over seas so they sent me to Texas to bed down the brand new B1-B Bomber and oversee the installations of at least a dozen projects to install cameras and alarm sytems protecting the birds, Alert Area, the WSA perimeter, and nuclear weapons storage igloos. As a native Texan I was happy they forgot to move me and I was blessed to finished my career in Abilene Texas. I was set to retire in October 2001 but I was stop lossed after the towers fell. I served another 2 years and would still be in the Air Force today if they'd let me stay.

Where were you stationed and when did you retire? I believe your tech school was also at Keesler.

Keesler, Dover, Osan ROK, Myrtle Beach, Wright Pat, Dyess. I retrained from Air Traffic Control and Landing Systems into Wide-band/SATCOM in the middle of my career but all those assignments were over seas so they sent me to Texas to bed down the brand new B1-B Bomber and oversee the installations of at least a dozen projects to install cameras and alarm sytems protecting the birds, Alert Area, the WSA perimeter, and nuclear weapons storage igloos. As a native Texan I was happy they forgot to move me and I was blessed to finished my career in Abilene Texas. I was set to retire in October 2001 but I was stop lossed after the towers fell. I served another 2 years and would still be in the Air Force today if they'd let me stay.

Where were you stationed and when did you retire? I believe your tech school was also at Keesler.
You are correct sir. Joined in 88 and retired in 2008 as an E-7. Tech School at Keesler. Tyndall, Iceland, Elemendorf, Cheyenne Mountain, Schriever, Hill, Balad, Izmir Turkey and last Langley. Best assignment Elmendorf. Got to be a Military Conservation Agent on base, basically base game warden. Best job was Schriever. I was an instructor for the Air Warning Center at NORAD. Did another 14 years as a DoD contractor and moved to the private sector in 2021. Best move I ever made. Got into project management and serving as a PMO Director in healthcare.

Recent Posts