Apple pie recipie.

woooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooo
second batch is on the shelf.

I'll tell you what, It is almost as much fun makin' the stuff as it is to drink the stuff.

Shot of coconut rum in a can of mountain dew. Shot of cocunut rum in the cook.

Shot of canadian mist in a can of dr. pepper. Shot of canadian mist in the cook.

And an hour of cooking while listening to beasty boys and beck.

Dancing in the kitchen and boiling raisins has never been sooooooo much fun.

Can't wait to taste the second batch.
chicken.gif
beerchug.gif

4ked Horn

Here is just a sugestion from a Cider maker, dont let the temps get over 200 deg, it destroys the flavor of the apple cider or juice. 190 is the best temp. I am going to try your recipe for the christmas party at the local watering hole. Hick up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

What temp does apple juice boil at? Would it be best to steep the ingredients just below boiling for 15 minutes instead of boiling them?

Last night I made a few modifications to the recipe. I used 1 1/4 c of 151 and 3/4 c everclear (just because we used up the last of the fifth of 151 and didn't make it to the liquor store)

I used 1 c of southern comfort instead of the light rum to see what the carmel will do to the sweetness of the recipe.

I used honey instead of maple syrup.

I used more lemon juice and more vanilla. The first batch tasted a little more like apple juice with spices than it did like apple pie and when I added the extra vanilla it smelled more like pie. I'm hoping that when it ages a little it keeps the pie flavor.

If you are familiar with shades of beer the first batch came out colored like pale ale but lastnights batch came out like an amber ale or a light porter.

Boiling apple juice is just like shooting. got to know what altitude you are at.

Molecular content of a liquid will cause it to boil at a temperature lower than water. Plus altitude will cause it to boil at a lower temperature. I beleive about 4000 to 5000 ft is where things get measurable.

All of that said -Boiling starts at the bottom of the pan and many of the vapor bubbles are cooled and condense before they reach the surface. Vapor temperatures can exceed the boiling point and if boiling destroys flavor then all of the condensed bubbles are bad flavored.

I would conclude that if you like the apple taste that you just steep it. Now then if your wife says I am a moron and don't know anything about cooking don't argue with her. She is most likely right.

The only reason you heat the fresh apple cider is to pasturize it, 160-190 deg(kill them little bugs that make the cider go hard) 190 is the highest we go, use a good thermometer, candy type. Same goes with Honey, dont go over 145deg, ruins the flavors and kills the enzymes. Store bought honey has been boiled so it will keep on the shelves. (useless info) Make sure the juices are cool before you add any Alcohol, it boils at 173deg (poof it will be gone)More useless info. Im full of it today. If you could find some good Apple brandy im sure that would be a great additive.
Enjoy! Have a happy thanksgivin all!

You would be surprised at how many recipes we saw that had you add the liquor at or before the boil. This does like you said and poof goes the alcohol. I'm not sure what their point is with this.

Just for your own personal info.....EACH HOUSEHOLD is authorized to make 200 gals "white lightening" per year! Ya just can't sell it!! That's quite enuff to stay drunk all year!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.