Apple pie recipie.

4ked Horn

This has nothing to do with shooting or guns but many outdoors men ,and a good share of women as well are big fans of it.

I'm looking for a good recipie for "apple pie" and I don't mean the kind with a crust. If you don't know what I'm talking about then you won't have a recipie now will you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you do know what I'm talking about then you dang well know what I'm talking about and I would like your input.

There are a number of recipies floating around but I would like to know which ones you folks like the best. It'll be my first batch... err... attempt at making some.
Thanks for your recomendations.

As long as it involves a dutch oven, and a big pile of coals (some on top, as well as under) it dosen't seem to matter much what you throw in there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Cherries work pretty good too

I have to agree with you on the dutch oven cooking. MMM MMM Good.

But that ain't the kind of apple pie I'm talkin' 'bout.

The recipie I'm looking for is measured by the gallon, the fifth and the pint. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bisquick and canned cherries will make a fine cobbler. Other types of "apple pie" attract vermin known as revenoors. "Thunder Road" was on the other night and my children could not believe that I wouldn't let them change channels.

I'm going to have to rent that one cuz I have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You obvously did not grow up in backwoods Alabama

BALLAD OF THUNDER ROAD
Let me tell the story, I can tell it all
About the mountain boy who ran illegal alcohol
His daddy made the whiskey, son, he drove the load
When his engine roared, they called the highway Thunder Road.

Sometimes into Ashville, sometimes Memphis town
The revenoors chased him but they couldn't run him down
Each time they thought they had him, his engine would explode
He'd go by like they were standin' still on Thunder Road.

(CHORUS)
And there was thunder, thunder over Thunder Road
Thunder was his engine, and white lightning was his load
There was moonshine, moonshine to quench the Devil's thirst
The law they swore they'd get him, but the Devil got him first.

On the first of April, nineteen fifty-four
A Federal man sent word he'd better make his run no more
He said two hundred agents were coverin' the state
Whichever road he tried to take, they'd get him sure as fate.

Son, his Daddy told him, make this run your last
The tank is filled with hundred-proof, you're all tuned up and gassed
Now, don't take any chances, if you can't get through
I'd rather have you back again than all that mountain dew.

(CHORUS)

Roarin' out of Harlan, revvin' up his mill
He shot the gap at Cumberland, and screamed by Maynordsville
With T-men on his taillights, roadblocks up ahead
The mountain boy took roads that even Angels feared to tred.

Blazing right through Knoxville, out on Kingston Pike,
Then right outside of Bearden, they made the fatal strike.
He left the road at 90; that's all there is to say.
The devil got the moonshine and the mountain boy that day.

OH MY GOSH. My wife sings bits and pieces of this around the campfire and I have never heard it all the way through. Thank you for posting that. You rock. Now I know exactly what you and her are talking about.

I was on a different track, "From Dusk till Dawn". "Now we`ve even got apple pie ....."

Worth watching the film.

David.

OK ok. Time to redirect this back to the original question.

Does anyone have a favorite recipie for an adult beverage called apple pie. It is a great tasting and REMARKABLY SMOOTH drink that is for sipping. If you don't ease up to it you will be sorry.

There are a number of recipies for it on line but I was wondering if anyone here had a favorite.

And NO, it ain't moonshine just in case some were confused by the reference to Thunder Road. It is simply a mixed dring that is usually made by the gallon and sipped in the cooler part of the year.

Hope this helps
1 gallon cider
1 gallon apple juice
7-8 cinnamon sticks (this may make the cinnamon taste too strong for some)
boil for 5-10 minutes
remove the cinnamon sticks and let cool for a few minutes
while still warm stir in 1.75 liters of everclear and let stand for several hours, stir again just before you bottle it.

Justin

Thank you Justin. That is the simplest recipe I have seen so far. Unfortunately we will have to try it on another batch. We just couldn't stand it any longer so we made some last evening. Here is the way we made it.

<font color="red"> 12 oz raisins </font>
Cover with water in a pan and boil until water is all absorbed. Put in cheesecloth sack and add to:

<font color="red"> 1 gallon apple juice </font> (Start heating this as soon as you put on the raisins. The raisins will be ready about the time the juice begins to boil.)
<font color="red"> 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
6 cinnamon sticks
25 whole cloves (approx 1 tsp.)
25 allspice berries (approx 1 tsp.) </font> (all the whole spices were in a cheesecloth bag)

Boil 15 minutes. At end of boil remove the raisins and spices and add:

<font color="red"> 1/2 c. brown sugar
3 tbs. pure maple syrup </font> You can sub with honey.

Boil for a couple of minutes to make sure it is dissolved. Cool juice (I made an ice water bath in the sink to put the pot in. It was cool in about 5 minutes with constant stirring) then add:

<font color="red"> 2 cups Bacardi 151
1 cup white rum
2 tbs. Fire Water </font>or other cinamon schnaps.

We will age it a couple weeks. This is supposed to let the liquor smooth out. First samples by spoon were pretty smooth but when sipped from a glass the liquor was more prominent. I'm not certain why the lemon juice is there in such a meager amount, or why we had to plump the raisins before adding them. As they boiled in the galon of juice I would give the raisin bag a squeeze with the wooden spoon to get more of the flavor into the juice.

I used 2 1/2 bottles of martinellis apple juice since I wanted to store it in the glass bottles. 1/2 bottle went into the fridge for breakfast. After all the boiling in an open pot and adding of liquor we ended up right back at 2 1/2 bottles of Apple pie.

We also have some Everclear that we may use on the second batch. One recipe called for an entire 1/5 of Everclear. The alcohol above is about a fifth, but not nearly the proof of Everclear, so we expect that to be more potent.

Well the first half bottle is gone and we only have two bottles left. The wife and I have only taken a few little samples of the stuff and somehow it has disappeared from the first container.

With this in mind we have already decided to make another batch early next week and we pinky swore that we wouldn't drink any more of this first batch until thanksgiving so it has a chance to age just a bit.

But dang, it is tasty. Next batch, Southern comfort instead of light rum and more cinamon flavor. And we will strain it through a coffee filter for clarity.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.