Anyone use 6mm BR for deer?

It will do a good job as long as you stay within its range limitations. Me and or my kids have killed several whitetail and even two elk with the 260 rem in a 14" specialty pistol (should be close to what you can do in a rifle length performance wise).
Both elk were under 100 yards (120 NBT's) and were lung shots-both bullets exited.
Right placement+right bullet= dead animal (within its range capabilities of course)

I killed one at 400 yds, 105 amax/2840 mv, double lunged, exit, stumbled 25 yds at most and dropped.

Just wondering if more people use this highly accurate easy to shoot round.

I have a 6mm-225 Winchester 14 inch barrel for my T/C Contender that is about the same as the 6 BR. I use the Sierra 80 gr. SSP bullet at 2650 fps and it did a real number on the one buck deer I shot with it at 100 yards. It went through both shoulders and dropped the deer.

Oops.
6.5BR,
Your user name threw me off-I was thinking 6.5 caliber-Sorry.
My son and I have used the 6mm-6.5x47 Lapua in a specialty handgun and have killed 2 buck antelope, 1 buck muley, and one doe antelope-All one shot kills. used Bergers 105 VLD

Hi Ernie, yes, built a 7BR rifle in the past, last minute, ready made dies/brass...saved a few $$$, and had many 6BRs and one again in the works, and SOME day will do a 6.5 version....but now the 47 and Grendel hit the scene......well you know!

Anyway, how did the Bergers do? Fine I take it.

I'd guess you are getting rifle 6BR speeds in that handgun at least?

Thanks for sharing.

You are right there! I got 2840 w/105s in a 26", 95s went 3005mv, and 70s 3400+.

Neat round it sounds like. How is your accuracy? What scope you using? That in an XP also? Thanks.

You are right there! I got 2840 w/105s in a 26", 95s went 3005mv, and 70s 3400+.

Neat round it sounds like. How is your accuracy? What scope you using? That in an XP also? Thanks.

I have an rear grip XP, that has been having a new stock being prepared for it, but this is a MOA Maximum (Falling block action/interchangeable barrels).
Scope is a Leupold VX-3 LR/T 8.5-25
The first and only time to date I have shot it beyond 200 yards, was at 500 on steel (3-shots 1.25 inches) no sighters off of a bi-pod.
Here is the post I made it about it and it has pics as well:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f29/mcgowan-barrel-moa-maximum-sp-bergers-great-combo-34094/
I am running it real hard right now and plan to back it off some next time around.

Nice, BIG antelope you killed there! Was that a cow elk, different bbl?

Friend long ago, had a 22" carbine MOA, 6.5BR, shot one hole groups, let him sell it for a song....seemed a pain to load/shoot w/safety design, etc...but regret not buying it ever since, trigger great too. Thanks for sharing and good hunting! You're set!

It takes a while to get used to running a MOA, but once you get used to it, it is not as slow as it seems at first.

What bullet/speed you getting out of the MOA? Thanks and congrats on those successes!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.