Anyone played with the 338 Hammer Bullets?

Steve,

If you would like to sent me some after you have proved there concept there could be run for long distance with the 375s.

It takes a bit of time and effort when stretching things out towards a mile and beyond.

Am busy these most of them rest of this week working a horse trade. Tearing a mare for a big molly about a days Trevelyan away.

If there molly doesn't bust me up I'll be heading to their back country to go for their mile and more.

Things are looking good with the re designed .338 303g Hammer Hunter. Shot it this morning at 200y doing fire forming loads with my new 338 Lapua Imp. It is a 30" 9 twist Lilja. All holes were nice and round and shooting sub 1" at 200y. At my 3000' elevation this bullet is a little marginal for stability and still shooting nicely. Headed out tomorrow for a long range test and give it a go with full tilt loads. Assuming that it will all go well tomorrow, I will be getting fresh new box off to you guys that bought the original one. Will have them out by Monday. If something ugly shows up tomorrow I will post it here.

Also will be giving the new Hammer Hunter .338cal 285g a run at 1000y tomorrow. This one is designed for 9" twist and is probably the one that I will hunt with this fall. It will be interesting to see how the two compare as far as bc and velocity. Also considering the 303g will be suffering a little loss of bc due to marginal stability. I will post how this turns out as well.

We will have 4 rifles and 5 loads to wring out tomorrow. Weather is supposed be nice so the only thing I am worried about is mirage.

Steve

Among a couple of other things, mirage was not my friend today. Prior to the mirage starting today I was able to run a 300wsm out to 1000y at sub .5 moa. The second group at 1000y after a scope adjustment the mirage started and opened that rifle up to 3/4 mao and elevated the group 3/4 moa higher than it should have been. Stopped working on groups at that point and started working up loads for the 303g Hammer Hunter. Good news is perfect round holes out to 1000 yrds. With a 9" twist that is marginal for the 303g. Mirage did not allow me to get good data for drops.

We are planning to get out again at dawn on Sat and finish what we started. I should be able to get some more cut on Sun.

Roy, I will get you a new batch to work with hopefully on Monday. As well as the others that have ordered them.

Steve

My new 303gr versions showed up about a week ago but I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet. I may get out next weekend to test a few. They look great though!

I was wondering about you yesterday. Almost called you.

They will work great for you. I ran them in my 9" twist (slightly marginal) and they shot great. Look forward to hearing how they do for you.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts