Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

I have a question for you guys. I am having a 7-300 built and currently have a Krieger 29" heavy palma in a 1:8 twist to be finished at 27.75" . My smith has a Broughton M24 contour 31" in a 8.5 twist to be finished at 29". He told me if I want a bit more length that I could use the Broughton he has sitting on the shelf. Would I gain enough by going with the barrel he has (other than weight) to use the Broughton instead of the Krieger that I already have right now? It would be a straight swap so no money lost or anything. I have read that the Broughtons are good barrels and I would be able to shoot the Berger 195's if they ever appear with either barrel so that would not be an issue. What would you guys do?

I have a question for you guys. I am having a 7-300 built and currently have a Krieger 29" heavy palma in a 1:8 twist to be finished at 27.75" . My smith has a Broughton M24 contour 31" in a 8.5 twist to be finished at 29". He told me if I want a bit more length that I could use the Broughton he has sitting on the shelf. Would I gain enough by going with the barrel he has (other than weight) to use the Broughton instead of the Krieger that I already have right now? It would be a straight swap so no money lost or anything. I have read that the Broughtons are good barrels and I would be able to shoot the Berger 195's if they ever appear with either barrel so that would not be an issue. What would you guys do?

Inch an quarter differants??!! I guess to each, his own. Both barrels are good choices, quality stuff!! Guess that's some like one kind, others like another. That said, IMO( an I'm just one person) either one is top quality an will do the job. Might not be much help, just my 2cts!

DT

Also! There's a lot more smarter people on this site than I am, mabey the extra length will help. I really don't know at those lengths. Mine is gonna finish at 28 inches. Again, just my 2cts!

DT

I do not think that it would be worth the extra pound for 1.25" unless I was going to gain 60 fps or something. Think I am going to stick with the Krieger.

Last edited:
joeycoates this is just my 2 cents but i would go with the broughton 5c 8.5 twist over the krieger 8 twist. It seems like the broughton 5c's are faster than almost all barrels out there and that little slower twist rate is going to reduce pressures and youll still be able to run any heavy bullets out of it even the 195 's if they ever come out.

Joey, I would be more worried about the number of lands. I would not use a Kreiger with their 4 land rifling in this application. The 3 and 4 land tubes apply more stress to the bullet jacket because they are wider and a bit deeper. That along with the tighter twists we are going to could create a perfect storm for bullets to come apart or be on the verge of coming apart before they even reach the target.

I would use no less than a 5 land like the 5C mentioned or a 5R and all the ones I have built so far are 6 land Harts.

Jeff

Might be a good time to post this again. Tac Ops Inc builds a lot of 30 cal rifles. They are the only company I'm aware of that gives a 1/4 minute guarantee on their rifles. They use Krieger 4 groove barrels.

I personally wouldn't trade one cut rifled barrel for two button rifled ones.

Might be a good time to post this again. Tac Ops Inc builds a lot of 30 cal rifles. They are the only company I'm aware of that gives a 1/4 minute guarantee on their rifles. They use Krieger 4 groove barrels.

I personally wouldn't trade one cut rifled barrel for two button rifled ones.

All I was trying to say is I and others on here have noticed a trend with tight twisted rifles in the 3200+ fps area that had 3 and 4 grove barrel and jacket damage. Then also some with complaints of bullets coming apart on impact or before that were using the same recipe.

I have two rifles with kreigers and they both shoot good. One is a 4 land in 6mm. I know this is not a 6mm or 30 cal thread but I will also add the only bad barrel I have even purchased was a 30 cal Kreiger 4 land. After we tried everything else with the new fully custom build I contacted Kreiger. I was less than impressed with they way I was treated ( pretty much I was an idiot on the line) so I called Tim North and ordered a Broughton 5C for the rifle. We installed it and the rifle has shot extremely well every since. I do not believe that this means Kreiger makes bad barrels. I do believe anyone can make a bad barrel and Kreiger is no exception. It is how we are treated when we have the problem that counts. That said I would still use a Kreiger and I have. Just no 4 land stuff in high velocity rifles with fast twists for me. As for button or cut I have never been able to astablish a difference.

Jeff

Broughton is the only barrel company I know of that gives a written accuracy guarantee. I'm not a huge button rifled fan but wouldn't hesitate to use another Broughton or a Schneider. I've had a couple good Benchmarks lately too. Here is Broughton's guarantee:

GUARANTEE:
We guarantee our workmanship. Our custom barrels are capable of shooting 1/2 MOA or less, when using the proper handloads and properly fitted by a gunsmith. It is also common to see sub 1/4 MOA performance. It is our desire that every customer be totally satisfied with the accuracy of our custom barrels. If you feel the barrel is the problem component why your rifle is not shooting accurately, please return the barrel to us for evaluation. If the problem arose in manufacturing process of the barrel, the barrel will be replaced . Otherwise the the barrel will be returned to the customer at their expense. Any altering of the exterior dimension (contouring or fluting ) of finished barrel or the use of any abrasive product in the barrel bore voids this guarantee.

1/4" 3 shot groups aren't that hard out of a custom barrel now days. I've shot many sub 1/4" groups with a number of different barrels, buttoned and cut rifled, and several different calibers including some big magnums. If barrels don't shoot under 3/8" or are finicky I generally don't keep them. Like Broz said all of them can and do make a bad barrel including Kreiger.

I agree with Broz that a fast twist 3 groove barrel will end up causing issues with jacketed bullet much sooner than barrels with more grooves.

My first 3 groove was a 1 in 10 twist 25 cal Lilja which became a very accurate 257 weatherby. It shot the 115 Berger VLD very well. In fact four other rifles were built with this same barrel. I shot the heck out of this barrel playing with different bullets and powders. Somewhere around round count 550 it began to "eat" 115 VLDs. Had to switch to 110 accubonds.

The 3 groove 257s impressed myself and a friend Dan so much we asked Dan Lilja about one for the 7mm. We wanted enough twist to shoot the 180 VLDs. He said the only 3 groove he had with enough twist was a 1 in 7. I brought this up here and was told by several posters to NOT build that rifle with a 3 groove and that much twist. I asked Dan Lilja if there were any issues with such a fast twist ruining bullets. He said he had not heard of any. So Dan and I built our rifles.

Dan built a #7 profile 30" 7 STW and I built a 30" #7 profile 7 Rem mag. Both rifles shot the 180 VLDs accurately FOR A WHILE. Dan's began to have flyers at round count 175. My rifle began to have issues at round count 225 or so. I again had to switch to accubonds or TTSX to overcome the issue.

I may built another 257 as the combination of the PT & G reamer and the 1 in 10 3 groove is a proven performer. I just won't shoot it except for hunting.

I also agree with Broz 100% on the fast twist 3 Groove barrels. I has been my experience when you use them with higher velocity chambering & thinner jacketed bullets they open on game way more prematurely due to the jacket being damaged.

Can i use my redding 300 win seater die for this? Anyone recommend buying the replacement micrometer for the vld? I have my barrel, brake which are going to the smith tomorrow. If i can use my seater die, i just need the right bushings for my type s neck sizing die. Thanks everyone.

Can i use my redding 300 win seater die for this? Anyone recommend buying the replacement micrometer for the vld? I have my barrel, brake which are going to the smith tomorrow. If i can use my seater die, i just need the right bushings for my type s neck sizing die. Thanks everyone.

All I do is use the correct bushing for my brass in Redding 300 win competition die sets. That's all it takes. I do however step the 300 win brass down in a few steps by changing bushings the first time.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts