Anyone make a similar neck die to the Lee Collet?

engineer40

I'm planning/prepping for a new barrel that will eventually (hopefully sooner than later) turn one of my rifles into a 6.5-284 Norma.

I'm a big fan of the Lee Collet neck sizing die. However Lee doesn't offer dies for the 6.5-284 cartridge. (Although they said they would consider it if they got enough requests. So everyone feel free to email Lee asking them to produce the dies!)

Looks like my options are Redding, Forster, Hornady, RCBS, or LE Wilson. Any opinions?

Thanks!

The standard RCBS neck die will work for you but will need some case mouth lube. I use either Imperial wax lube or their graphite dry lube.
I have started using the Redding type S dies which take a little work figuring out the size of bushing to use. I also use the free floating carbide button on the expander rod. This setup is giving me the most consistent neck tension. I like using the dry graphite lube with these.

if you want a Lee collet for that caliber bad enough , Lee will build you one for $70 and a quick turnaround.

Collet Necksizing Dies - Lee Precision

Exactly. Just have one made.

Tip - if they make one for a cartridge that is "really close" you can see if it will work. I use a 25-06 one for 257 Wby, and 7mm Rem one for 7mm Wby. 243 does not work, though, for 6mm Rem.

Exactly. Just have one made.

Tip - if they make one for a cartridge that is "really close" you can see if it will work. I use a 25-06 one for 257 Wby, and 7mm Rem one for 7mm Wby. 243 does not work, though, for 6mm Rem.

Im surprised the 25-06 worked for you on the 257 WBY, as my 270 win collet promptly crushed the radius shoulders of a 270 WBY

I have had to alter parts of the Lee CND in order to make 270 wsm , and 358 grant neck dies. Both from 300 wsm LCNS dies.

I feel your pain , some guys are using a hardened shim and 6.5 ×55 LCND for 6.5 284

There is a way to "fool" a Lee Collet neck sizer, that is if you can find the right size washer.

The critical measurement on a Lee Collet is the dimension from the case head to the neck/shoulder junction. That measurement for the 6.5x284 is 1.920". For the 6.5x55 (which you can buy a Lee Collet for) is 1.852".

If you can find or make a washer that is .473" or just a little larger and is .068" thick, you can put it around the case head on the shell holder

DSCN0030.jpg

I use this method sometimes to leave a part of the neck unsized

forsterneckdiecase.gif

I have also sent off to Lee for a custom Lee Collet in 6.5 rem mag and that turned out well

There is a way to "fool" a Lee Collet neck sizer, that is if you can find the right size washer.

The critical measurement on a Lee Collet is the dimension from the case head to the neck/shoulder junction. That measurement for the 6.5x284 is 1.920". For the 6.5x55 (which you can buy a Lee Collet for) is 1.852".

If you can find or make a washer that is .473" or just a little larger and is .068" thick, you can put it around the case head on the shell holder

DSCN0030.jpg

I use this method sometimes to leave a part of the neck unsized

forsterneckdiecase.gif

I have also sent off to Lee for a custom Lee Collet in 6.5 rem mag and that turned out well

I did the same thing for my .25-06 and .257 Wea. Works just fine.

I did the same thing for my .25-06 and .257 Wea. Works just fine.

i guess im gonna give it another go because apparently i didnt calculate my "spacer" correctly haha. Ive gone to bushings, but would still be nice to have the option

thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.