Anyone know this Montana gunsmith/stock maker?

I agree with jd5521, this looks exactly like a Weatherby Mark V stock. I have a .340 Wby with the same stock including that same recoil pad. Its like a fine piece of furniture indeed.

Interesting! If it were a mark V action I would agree, however - this is a Remington 700.

does the Remington 700 share the same footprint? If so then that's a possibility.

this 7 rem mag is a 1966 model. Same with the leupold, I imagine the stock has to have come from that era sometime.

Last edited:
upload_2019-12-17_10-55-37.jpeg

very similar! However, mine does not have inletting for the side bolt release, it looks as though the builder of mine closely followed the lines of the weatherby though!

It may help in your research to know that the stock maker used the same low profile sling attachments as the old Browning B78 single shot. Made by Pachmayr, they are/were a spring loaded affair where you push the sling swivel into the stock receptacle and turn 90 degrees to lock it. They didn't actually swivel but were limited to a fore and aft movement.

That guys name is Ben Hansen. Gunstock carver - I cannot find anything anywhere on his page that points to being a stock maker.

strike 2, might get lucky but I'm not losing sleep over it.

That guys name is Ben Hansen. Gunstock carver - I cannot find anything anywhere on his page that points to being a stock maker.

strike 2, might get lucky but I'm not losing sleep over it.
This is what I got from the Google search as far as contact information goes, could be he is not the person, or he's not doing stock work, but....his sight does show he works on guns, the name is the same:

Ben Hansen
27406 Tracy Ridge Court
Spring, TX 77386
Phone 928-642-0955
e-mail:
[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.