Anyone Hunt Over West Texas Gaur (Legume)?

MLN1963

I was fortunate a couple years ago to have an uncle lease some land and plant wheat and peanuts in SW OK. He gave us permission to hunt it and we saw a lot of deer on the wheat fields and we harvested a few. There were times I had seen large groups, sometimes 15-30 deer on the field at once. Of course they were on the far side and I didn't have a shot I would take. The peanuts didn't make and we never saw any deer out during hunting hours when we were there.

Last year they decided to plant west texas gaur (a type of small bean) as it would hopefully put more money in his pockets. I figured a bean would be good like the wheat was, I was wrong. We saw a few deer tracks but nothing like the previous year and no deer out eating the gaur. We thought maybe we had to wait for a freeze to get the beans to taste good to the deer as I've heard it will make the bean sweeter with sugar? After the first freeze we had renewed hope but it never panned out. It seemed like they only passed thru my hunting area occasionally to get to surrounding areas that had wheat planted. Needless to say, we didn't harvest any deer there last year.

We heard he was going back to wheat this year and were doing the happy dance, but now were are hearing he may go with gaur again. This was a real buzz kill to say the least.

Has anyone had any luck hunting over West Texas Gaur? Is there an approach to take that is different from other crops such as wheat? I could put out feeders with corn but I don't know if that would even be worth it? It seemed like the deer moved on to areas close to wheat on the surrounding farms. Areas I don't have access to. Thoughts?

West Texas Guar, Inc.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.