Anyone here hunt/shoot traditional?

WSmitty01

By traditional, I mean non-wheel bow. I've got a couple of the compounds, but I just can't get that same feeling of enjoyment that I do with my recurve. I just bought (will be here in 5 weeks) a Quinn's Stallion with metal riser and laminated limbs. The bow riser window is past center shot so rest or shelf shooting should be great. Has all the accessory holes, so anything can be done to it. I can shoot a groups twice as large with my recurve with no sights and no release (I shoot compounds fingers also) and get twice the satisfaction than when I shoot the wheel bow. Going on my first hog hunt next month with the recurve, gotten them with pistol, compound, and knife, but I'm REALLY looking forward to this one!

At one time, I shot a lot of traditional archery. But after almost cutting off the end of my ring finger and having a lot of nerve damage left, I cannot get the feel for a good release anymore. So I only shoot compounds with releases now. At one time, I had several recurve bows and my dad had a Howard Hill Bamboo Special long bow that we shot all the time.

i love recurves....

I moved to colo in 1975 after i came on an elk hunt in 1974 and fell in love with the place.I had done a litttle bit of bow hunting in Ala just because you get an extra month of hunting season and it was a good time to be scouting for the rifle season. When i got to Colo i found that you could only hunt for a species in one season....either rifle or bow but not both.....so i would hunt elk in one season and deer in the other.....this was until the bug bit me hard during the archery elk season about '76.....something about hunting those big animals making all that noise and being able to call them into your back pocket......there is not a much better thrill for me. This was when the compoud craze had hit and everyone had he latest super duper fast shooter with all the bells and whistles. I fell into that and bought a 75 lb bear alaskan, which i could shoot very well indeed.....anything out to about 70 yards was definitely in trouble! Well, i found myself just kinda wandering around in the woods waiting for something to show itself, and not really hunting. I did manage to kill a couple of bulls but i found the compound was cumbersome in up close situations where a quick smooth draw and release was called for. I went back to my old wing recurve for a spring turkey hunt, and re-discovered why i liked archery hunting do much.....i sold the compound and bought a bighorn takedown and hunted with it for yrs. I still have it but now also have shoulder problems and cant draw it anymore. i think compounds are best suited for tree stand hunting and maybe some other spot and stalk open ground stuff where an extreme long shot mught be needed, but if you want heart pounding, **** your pants type excitement, try hunting elk in rut with a recurve....the last bull i killed with mine was at 6 ft.....not yds, FEET! AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.