Anyone have luck with Accumark?

wby rifles are a bit of a crap-shoot, as are all other factory rifles.
I've seen the good and the bad of them the last year or so. One friend's 270win mk5 shoots 3/4" with average handloads that weren't even set up for his rifle. Another guy I know has a Vanguard in 257 roy that shoots moa with 117 grain factories.
The icing on the cake is a friend's accumark in 300roy that shoots around corners until you start feeding it some pretty well tuned handloads. It took over 100rounds of load testing to get sub moa performance confirmed, and this rifle has a pretty good bore. It just HATES lighter bullets. 150 grain factories didn't even shoot well enough to sight in the scope; we had to switch to 180's to get any repeatability in grouping. once we started feeding it my 225 hornady pills and 7828, it started actually acting like a real rifle.
We didn't even buy reloading dies until I confirmed there was some accuracy potential; we used my 300rum dies to neck size the brass and seat the bullets to start with. Realizing the freebore might be an issue I was emulating the old 30-40 crag fix for accuracy; one heck of a big/long bullet to fill the throat of the rifle usually fixed poorly shooting crag rifles.

If 135 Matrix bullets will stabilize in the 1:10, I'd try those and seat them really long.

Also, thinking hard about buying those Tubbs bullets to see if for $35 I can fix this bore enough to shoot decent. My smith said it looked like Ronnie Milsapp setup the rifling machine with rifle buttons sharpened by Ray Charles. LOL

On a serious note, he said it looked characteristic of a broke or dull rifling button and wore-out boring bits. He's been a machinist for 40+ years and gunsmithing for 25...I trust his eye and judgement, because I know he's probably seen it all. He is not just a machinist/gunsmith, he is also a very accomplished BR shooter and competition trap shooter.

"If you did get a bad one Weatherby will fix it at no charge. I have seen them replace 25 year old barrels for free under the accuracy warranty and refinish deluxe stocks even older that had checked the clear coat.[/QUOTE]"

TO THIS , I REPLY " BULL....".
Let me tell you of my experience with Weatherby's accuracy guarantee .
In February , 2006 , I purchased a Wetherby Mark V , Fibermark in .340 Wby. Mag. caliber . The Fibermark was a synthetic stocked [CHEAP], Mark V with a #2 barrel contour [ advertised as a Kreiger , but actually a Criterion barrel ], with a forward pressure point under the barrel at the fore-end . I also purchased 5 boxes of Weatherby ammo in various bullet weights . The trigger pull was at 4.5# , so I adjusted the pull weight down to 3# , as explained in the instruction manual. I carried my new rifle to my local Weatherby Authorized Repair facility and had the gunsmith install a Weatherby Accubrake to help with the recoil . He also installed Leupold Quick Release bases , with #8 screws and epoxy , to which I mounted a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5x20 target scope using Leupold QR rings .
Next stop , the range .
Using Weatherby 225 gr. Hornady SP ammo , I went through the barrel break-in process as described by the Authorized Repair gunsmith , cleaning thoroughly after each shot for the first ten , then cleaning after 3 shots for the next 30 . During this shooting ,I attempted to sight-in the scope . My best group of three was just at 6" . I attributed this to the action not being bedded , and barrel not free- floated . Using Marine Tex epoxy , I fully bedded the action and recoil lug , and first inch under the chamber . I then free-floated the barrel , and returned to the range to try again . Using Weatherby ammo in 225 gr. and 250 gr. the best group was 4.5" for three shots . This trip to the range , I brought my brother and his Weatherby Mark V , .340 Mag. [ built by the Weatherby Custom Shop , with a #2 contour Kreiger cut-rifled barrel , mounted and hand bedded into a beautiful European Walnut stock by the Custom Shop ] . We shot my ammo in his rifle and printed 3 shot groups that measured .25", one quarter MOA . Then we switched his rifle scope[Leupold Vari-x III 3.5x10 ] to my rifle and tried again. His bases and rings are Leupold Quick Release also . Still the best group from my rifle was 4.5" for three shots . Hand loads did no better .
The following Monday I called Weatherby customer service , explaining all of the above happenings , asking if I could return the rifle to them for barrel replacement , and I was told that I had voided the warranty by alteration of the stock , however , if I were to order an Accumark stock from the Custom Shop , then the rifle would again be back in warranty . The stock was to be a direct drop-in for my action and barrel , and if that did not correct the in-accuracy of my rifle , then call before returning it to Weatherby for warranty . $399.95 + shipping and 3 weeks later the stock arrived , with instructions to tighten the action screws to 55 inch pounds torque , which was to give the proper amount of pressure under the barrel contact point at the fore-end .
Back to the range . ALL SHOOTING WAS AT 100 yds.
This time , the first 2 shots DID NOT hit the target backstop . I was lucky that my wife saw the 2nd bullet impact into the dirt berm , above the target panels .For the 3rd shot I held at the bottom of the target panel , squeezed the trigger , and finally hit paper , more than 24 inches above my point of aim . I then loosened the forward action screw , until totally loose, then only tightened to 10 inch pounds , and shot again . Back into the central portion of the target , but still over 4" groups , while trying 3 different factory ammo choices .
The next Monday , I again called Weatherby customer service , detailed all of the events , and I was told that Weatherby would not be responsible for the lack of accuracy , and would not warrant the barrel or rifle . However , they suggested that I contact Kreiger Barrels for them to inspect the rifle barrel , and perhaps Kreiger might warrant the barrel.
I called Kreiger customer service , explained all of the happenings , was asked for the rifle's serial number , and I was told that they would contact me within one week . Just at one week later , Kreiger called , and informed me that the barrel was not Kreiger , but was a Criterion barrel , and Criterion was associated with Kreiger , and that Kreiger would be happy to inspect my rifle . They issued a repair order number , and asked if I would ship the rifle complete , without sights , to them for inspection . A couple of weeks later Kreiger called and asked if I would authorize them to purchase 2 boxes of Weatherby ammo and a set of reloading dies so that they could also use hand loads to evaluate the rifle . I agreed , and also asked if Kreiger would be wiling to replace this barrel with one of their Kreiger cut-rifled barrels [ with me paying ] if they could not correct the in-accuracy problem. The gentleman on the phone said that would be an option .Several weeks later , I received a call from Kreiger , and I was told that best group that they could achieve was 2.5" with hand loads at less than 2500fps , shot from a Ransom Rest . Yes , the barrel was bad , no , they would not warranty it.
I asked again about paying Kreiger to re-barrel my action with a cut-rifled barrel , and was told No . However , I might contact a gunsmith to re-barrel my rifle with one of their barrels .
After getting the rifle back from Kreiger , I again contacted Weatherby customer service and told them about Kreiger's findings , and once again asked if Weatherby would honor their warranty and they said NO , that if Kreiger would not warranty the barrel , they would not do so either .
I eventually sent the rifle to Douglas Barrels and had them install a XXPremium SS barrel , in #5 magnum contour , and had them install a Holland muzzle brake .
The rifle now shoots relatively good , sub - moa , with occasional really good groups , and other times above moa .

I did ask to speak to Ed Weatherby , and never received a call . I will never know if he received information of my problem .

Last edited:
Sorry you had such a rough go of it.

Your post raises some questions.

Was the rifle purchased new with a serial number matching box from a dealer? The reason I ask is a couple things don't add up. The first is the synthetic stock. Fibermarks came with good fiberglass stocks pillar bedded from the factory. Not cheap synthetic plastic stocks. Those only came on the synthetic rifles that sold for around $600. Fibermarks were selling for about $1050 at that time.

Mark 5 scope screws holes come in 6-48. Was there something wrong with the scope screw holes that mandated the change to 8-40's or did it come that way?

Fibermarks did not get Criterion or Krieger barrels on production rifles. The Criterion deal was only on Accumarks. Not even the deluxes got the Criterion barrels.

Altered rifles do void the warranty but usually the warranty department would just replace the stock with the correct one at the owners cost and then move on with the warranty work. Asking you to buy and install a stock is not how it's usually done.

Referring you to Krieger is also way out of protocol. Krieger nor Criterion didn't install the barrel so no way they are going to warranty it. Once installed they can't even tell if it was one of theirs.

From the serial number Weatherby can document what configuration the rifle was shipped in and to where it was shipped. My gut is telling me something is way off here. Was this possible a used rifle with a Criterion take off installed. The rest of the Weatherby Mark 5's were getting button rifled barrels but not from Criterion. Was this rifle a second. At that time some dealers were able to obtain seconds and they did not get warranty support.

I would like to see what Teresa remembers about your case. All we would need is a serial number and we could get some of these discrepancies sorted out.

It's too bad you already switched the barrel because this is not how it usually goes down. Weatherby didn't get their reputation from crappy rifles or refusing warranty work. It just doesn't add up. Your whole rifle is a drop in the bucket for them and not taking care of you goes against the whole premise Weatherby built the company on.

Sorry you had such a rough go of it.

Your post raises some questions.

Was the rifle purchased new with a serial number matching box from a dealer? The reason I ask is a couple things don't add up. The first is the synthetic stock. Fibermarks came with good fiberglass stocks pillar bedded from the factory. Not cheap synthetic plastic stocks. Those only came on the synthetic rifles that sold for around $600. Fibermarks were selling for about $1050 at that time.

Mark 5 scope screws holes come in 6-48. Was there something wrong with the scope screw holes that mandated the change to 8-40's or did it come that way?

Fibermarks did not get Criterion or Krieger barrels on production rifles. The Criterion deal was only on Accumarks. Not even the deluxes got the Criterion barrels.

Altered rifles do void the warranty but usually the warranty department would just replace the stock with the correct one at the owners cost and then move on with the warranty work. Asking you to buy and install a stock is not how it's usually done.

Referring you to Krieger is also way out of protocol. Krieger nor Criterion didn't install the barrel so no way they are going to warranty it. Once installed they can't even tell if it was one of theirs.

From the serial number Weatherby can document what configuration the rifle was shipped in and to where it was shipped. My gut is telling me something is way off here. Was this possible a used rifle with a Criterion take off installed. The rest of the Weatherby Mark 5's were getting button rifled barrels but not from Criterion. Was this rifle a second. At that time some dealers were able to obtain seconds and they did not get warranty support.

I would like to see what Teresa remembers about your case. All we would need is a serial number and we could get some of these discrepancies sorted out.

It's too bad you already switched the barrel because this is not how it usually goes down. Weatherby didn't get their reputation from crappy rifles or refusing warranty work. It just doesn't add up. Your whole rifle is a drop in the bucket for them and not taking care of you goes against the whole premise Weatherby built the company on.

Your reply raises some issues : NOTHING LIKE CASTING DOUBT UPON THE CHARACTER OF THE PERSON MAKING A POST .

I have a F.F.L. ,the rifle was purchased NEW from CDNN SPORTS WHOLESALE , Abilene , Texas , and was delivered in a new Weatherby box , serial #PB005946 on the rifle and box . The sales invoice # 409409 lists item description as : " MK V TUTONE 340WBY 26" ST BL , WEATHERBY CUSTOM 702435 ." It was advertised in CDNN sales flyer as having a "KREIGER STAiNLESS BARREL " , and having been assembled in the Weatherby Custom Shop . I have long-ago discarded the original box .

The oversize #8-40 screws were installed at my request by the Weatherby factory authorized gunsmith , Mr. Lou Wiliamson of WILLIAMSON PRECISION GUNSMITHING , of Hurst ,Texas , 76053 . He also installed the Accubrake , that I purchased direct from Weatherby .

The barrel was a Criterion .

All of my contacts with Weatherby customer service , were by telephone .
My first contact in which I asked to return the rifle for evaluation was when I was asked if any changes had been made to the rifle , I responded yes , an accubrake had been installed and the 6-42 base screw holes had been enlarged to 8-40screw size by Mr. Williamson , the factory authorized gunsmith that Weatherby had recommended . I also said that I had free-floated the barrel , and glass-bedded the action . This was when I was told that the warranty was void , BUT , If I were to purchase , from Weatherby , another stock , then the rifle could be returned for warranty , but they said that I should install the new stock and shoot the rifle , because that should correct the inaccuracy issue . Install as per supplied instructions . At that point , I purchased a new Accumark stock .

After installing the new stock , and seeing no improvement in accuracy , I again called Weatherby customer service , explained that there was NO improvement in accuracy , and asked if they would authorize the return of rifle for repair . Again I was told NO , however , I should contact Kreiger about the barrel .

When I called Kreiger Barrels at 262-628-8558 , I was referred to Mr. John Bautz in customer service . He was my contact at all times during Kreiger's testing of my rifle . Mr. Bautz is the person who identified the barrel as a Criterion . incidentally, today I called Kreiger Barrels and asked to speak to John Bautz . I was informed that he had retired about 5 months ago summer of 2014 .
BUT I GUESS THAT YOU KNOW BETTER THAN KREIGER AS TO THE ORIGINATION OF THE BARREL .

Once again , the serial number is: PB005946 .
YOUR GUT IS PROBABLY TELLING YOU THAT YOU NEED A BOWEL MOVEMENT , as you are spraying a lot of CRAP.
I have no idea if the rifle was a second .
It never was returned to Weatherby , as they would not authorize it's return .

There are no discrepancies on my part . This IS what happened .

I disposed of the junk barrel and sold the accubrake .

Good luck in your search , this all happened over 7 years ago .

I hate that you had problems with your gun, but it is relieving to see someone else who has had issues with a high-dollar weatherby. I thought I was gonna be the only one that was going to be patronized, chastised, and treated like I was a moron who doesn't know anything about guns. And that it was impossible for the great and powerful Oz (Weatherby) to produce a lemon gun every now and then. If you knew my luck, you would understand why I was the "one in a million" customer to get one...

It's ok though...I'm probably trading it off this weekend for a new 700 5R 26" .300 WinMag... Hate the stocks, but I guarantee it will shoot better than my InAccumark.

Thanks for the thorough reply. That helped answer my questions.

But really now, after you calling me a liar, I was sympathetic and trying to be helpful, you insult me further? What, do you think we are married already? Sorry to break your heart. I thought everyone knew I only have eyes for MudRunner.

Your reply raises some issues : NOTHING LIKE CASTING DOUBT UPON THE CHARACTER OF THE PERSON MAKING A POST .

I have a F.F.L. ,the rifle was purchased NEW from CDNN SPORTS WHOLESALE , Abilene , Texas , and was delivered in a new Weatherby box , serial #PB005946 on the rifle and box . The sales invoice # 409409 lists item description as : " MK V TUTONE 340WBY 26" ST BL , WEATHERBY CUSTOM 702435 ." It was advertised in CDNN sales flyer as having a "KREIGER STAiNLESS BARREL " , and having been assembled in the Weatherby Custom Shop . I have long-ago discarded the original box .

The oversize #8-40 screws were installed at my request by the Weatherby factory authorized gunsmith , Mr. Lou Wiliamson of WILLIAMSON PRECISION GUNSMITHING , of Hurst ,Texas , 76053 . He also installed the Accubrake , that I purchased direct from Weatherby .

The barrel was a Criterion .

All of my contacts with Weatherby customer service , were by telephone .
My first contact in which I asked to return the rifle for evaluation was when I was asked if any changes had been made to the rifle , I responded yes , an accubrake had been installed and the 6-42 base screw holes had been enlarged to 8-40screw size by Mr. Williamson , the factory authorized gunsmith that Weatherby had recommended . I also said that I had free-floated the barrel , and glass-bedded the action . This was when I was told that the warranty was void , BUT , If I were to purchase , from Weatherby , another stock , then the rifle could be returned for warranty , but they said that I should install the new stock and shoot the rifle , because that should correct the inaccuracy issue . Install as per supplied instructions . At that point , I purchased a new Accumark stock .

After installing the new stock , and seeing no improvement in accuracy , I again called Weatherby customer service , explained that there was NO improvement in accuracy , and asked if they would authorize the return of rifle for repair . Again I was told NO , however , I should contact Kreiger about the barrel .

When I called Kreiger Barrels at 262-628-8558 , I was referred to Mr. John Bautz in customer service . He was my contact at all times during Kreiger's testing of my rifle . Mr. Bautz is the person who identified the barrel as a Criterion . incidentally, today I called Kreiger Barrels and asked to speak to John Bautz . I was informed that he had retired about 5 months ago summer of 2014 .
BUT I GUESS THAT YOU KNOW BETTER THAN KREIGER AS TO THE ORIGINATION OF THE BARREL .

Once again , the serial number is: PB005946 .
YOUR GUT IS PROBABLY TELLING YOU THAT YOU NEED A BOWEL MOVEMENT , as you are spraying a lot of CRAP.
I have no idea if the rifle was a second .
It never was returned to Weatherby , as they would not authorize it's return .

There are no discrepancies on my part . This IS what happened .

I disposed of the junk barrel and sold the accubrake .

Good luck in your search , this all happened over 7 years ago .

a bit caustic, I should say.... If this is how you post I'd hate to catch an earful from you on a bad day.

I've owned exactly one weatherby, but shot many of them and helped a few people rescue their "junk" guns by proper loadings for their rifle. I did sell my weatherby as it was a total turd, but I didn't feel like playing with a right hand rifle with a crap trigger in a standard chambering anyway. The last couple of weatherby rifles I've shot were great- first one- ma mk5 270win and horrible a accumark 300roy- that one is holding its own now with heavy bullet handloads but was a shotgun with factory wby fodder.
I've also gotten a couple of bad remmy rifles ( I own more remmy rifles than any other make so I still have some faith in them) and some fair to partly cloudy rifles from other makes. Weatherby isn't the only maker to turn out some turds once in a while, but I can somewhat see why it rubs you the wrong way as much as you have to pay to get into a weatherby. With the rum chamberings I simply do not see any reason to pay for a name when you actually get less performance after paying so much for the name.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts