Anyone else extremely dissapointed with Win brass lately?

I just ordered 100 pieces of norma

Where did you find the norma 7rm brass. Midway is always out of it and I have some Nosler brass on backorder. It was supposed to show up 5-11-12, now it says feb of next year! Cabelas has nosler in stock but I think I would rather go norma if I can find some.

Glad to see Im not the only one that will never buy Win. brass again. I bought 100 pcs of 300WSM from midway last month and out of 100, 3 had split necks, 2 wouldnt fit in the die, and one had a flattened mouth like it had been crushed with a pair of pliers.

Last fall Cabellas had 204 Ruger winchester brass on sale @ 100$ per 500pcs . I bought 1,000 pcs. Come spring when PD & squirrel season was in full swing I then found out 60-80% of the flashholes had egg shaped holes and 10 out of 100 had split necks at the shoulders. Dissapointed to say the least. After trying to "make" them work I returned 600 for credit. When asked why the counter employee was shown the bad cases, her reply was one of ignorance as she had no idea what a ruptured case could have done.

For my 204 Ruger it's Norma Brass from now on.

Got my Norma Brass today and it is pretty ;) All the necks were nice and round, flash holes clean and uniform and it even looks like the cases are deburred and chamfered. Im a little worried because Im reading about how sort it is and my smith normally used win brass and Im trying to get everything out of the 7 rm I can, hopefully I can still get the 3000-3050 with 180 bergers that he is getting in his win brass. No doubt though its much better produced brass!

I've always trimmed then sized new Win brass. Used to buy it by the thousands cheaply on sale at Midway in the 80's and into the 90's. Always had great luck with accuracy, primer pockets staying tight, etc. In fact, I still have the bulk of that Win brass (mostly 223 Rem) today.

In the past year or two I've bought several new batches of Win .223 from different vendors. I was very disappointed in the lack of consistancy in the brass. The primer pockets were especially sloppy with tightness ranging from so loose I swore the primers would fall out to so tight it was like GI brass with the pocket crimp in place.

Maybe I got spoiled by Lapua brass in the last couple years but I don't think so. I've loaded so many thousands of .223 of various brands and never used to have a problem with Win until recently.

Not going to buy any more Win brass and Rem has not been on my favorite list for a long time. Just wish Lapua was cheaper. :)

I can't say I've been dissapointed but haven't bought any in a couple years. I have great loads with 223, 25-06, and 7mm RM all using win brass. I weight sort them, chamfer flash hole, trim, chamfer inside/out and call it good. I prefer win over rem usually, but have great loads worked up with rem brass in same above calibers as well.

Last batch of 25-06 had a 22 percent failure rate, before I started to weigh them. Creased necks, split necks, of center flash holes, dents. If any of us ran a business with a 22 percent failure rate we would be out of business. Believe me I am not extremely finicky. Three emails not one returned. This company ranks right up there with Bank of America for quality of Managment. I will never buy another Winchester product again. Purchased Remington brass and tossed one out of 100. This used to be the opposit with Winchester, I am done with them.

Same here with the 257 Roberts +P and the 264 Mag.

If those of you who buy Win bulk brass, just save the culls and when you get 50 or more, send them back to Winchester and they will replace them. I had no problem getting mine replaced. I had a brand new case to separated in my 7 mag, call them and sent the split case along with the lot number and they sent me a free 50 count bag of brass!

I just threw out three out of fifty 308 new winchester brass . Of the rest, the primer pockets ranged from almost fall out loose to might have crushed the primer tight. terrible brass! I have 300 free 150gr honady flat base I am loading for plinking so I'm not being picky about the oval flash holes or dented cases , but not fitting in the shell holder!? All loaded and ready to go , going to my hunt club next weekend and plan to walk around with some shooting sticks and shoot all 180 + rounds. No long shots to be had though , 250yds about it.

If those of you who buy Win bulk brass, just save the culls and when you get 50 or more, send them back to Winchester and they will replace them. I had no problem getting mine replaced. I had a brand new case to separated in my 7 mag, call them and sent the split case along with the lot number and they sent me a free 50 count bag of brass!
iN THAT

In that case, I'm going to check a bag of 22-250 brass, Thanks.

G.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts