Anyone consider a 300wsm

long range dogr

I have a remington sps-v in a 300wsm.It sits in a B&C medalist stock.And i have a badger ordnance 20moa rail on it. My question is what are the thoughts on using this for a long range hunting rifle.

Thoughts ???

I will start with saying I have not owned a 300 WSM. I have the brass, bullets, powder, dies and a barrel in the mail to put one together. That said, I have some extensive experience with the 300 RUM and the 308. Seems like the 300 WSM is somewhere between the 2 even if it is closer to one than the other.

Notes on the 308. I enjoy the round due to its long barrel life. This encourages practice, experiments and overall use. When you use a rifle, you learn to be profficient.

Notes on the 300 RUM. I am afraid to shoot them much because of the limited life of the barrel. Can I get to know them enough to get the job done? Yes. However, when a snap shot has to be taken with minimal time to "set up" on the shot, I am not nearly as likely to succeed as I am not profficient with them. What the cartrigidge is good for is massive amounts of downrange engergy.

My thoughts on the 300 WSM.

Adequete downrange energy for north american big game. Good barrel life MUCH longer than the 300 RUM. Short action for ridgidity, compactness and less weight. A much more efficient case design than the big magnums. Yes there will be less velocity but the velocity loss is minimal in my opinion for the reduced recoil and added barrel life.

All in all I think based on what I have seen and heard is that the 300 WSM is a fine LR hunting round. I will know soon enough.

I have some limited experiece with the 300WSM. I am completely impressed with the round. Easy to load for, Varget for 165gr and lighter, H4350 for the heavy weights. BR2 primers, Norma brass. You can't go wrong with it. 3000+fps with 180gr bullets in a 26" barrel.

HTH
AJ

I shoot a factory 300 WSM Browning A-bolt with a 2lb Timney trigger spring topped with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 with turrets.

I have a couple H4350 loads that shoot 180 gr Hornady SST's up to 3000 fps with exceptional accuracy.

I am waiting on mine to be built. Hope all of the good things ya'll are saying are true for mine. Have been waiting since Nov. I am going crazy:D

I just tried some e-tips the other day. It's hitting a sweet spot in my rifle at 65 grains of H4350 at an avg velocity of 2960. I'm going to try bumping it up .3 grains at a time until I don't see the velocity increase or the accuracy drops off.

If it's anything like the SST and Interbond it will end up around 3010 fps without pressure sign, shooting .40 5 shot groups.

I like the idea of the E-tip. Comparable terminal performance to Barnes with a higher B.C. and less copper fouling.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.