Anybody w/ experience sending Bushell 4200 in for repair/replace?

chowder

I've had a thread going on poor grouping w/ a Savage model 11 Long Range Hunter/ Bushnell 4200 6-24X50 Tactical combo and after a lot of messing around it seems pretty clear that the scope is not right. I'm wondering 3 things;
1. Has anybody had a similar experience and how long did it take to resolve?
2. Did you keep the repaired/replaced scope and how do you feel about it now?

3. For a guy just trying to get started w/ this long range thing this has sure been a really bad experience. I bought a Savage model 10, 22-250 and put a fairly inexpensive Mueller long range/predator scope on it and a Savage model 11 long Range Hunter .308 and put the Bushnell 4200 on it w/ high grade hard ware. Although I've learned a lot of things about mounting scopes/ groups/ barrel bedding,etc by trying to get things figured out w/ the .308 I've also lost most of the confidence I started out with due to repeated failed attempts to get decent 100 yard groups w/ the .308. I have been able to get very nice groups w/ the 22-250 but I am noticing that now I'm even losing my form w/ that rifle. I'd like to just forget I ever had the Bushnell 4200 on my .308 but since I can't throw $600 down the drain I will need to find a way to get over this. Any suggestions for that? Thanks -Andy

I just sent my 6x24 Tactical back about two weeks ago. It held good groups and functioned properly but even with a 20 MOA base I only had 22 MOA of adjustment left. I called Bushnell and they said it wasn't centered right and to send it back and they would fix it or replace it. Haven't herd back from them yet so hopefully it works out.

I just hope you bought it from a certified Bushnell dealer. I wanted to send my rangefinder back to them. Even though it is brand new, I bought it from an ebay store that was not a certified dealer and guess what......not covered under warranty.

About 5 years ago I bought a Bushnell binocular/rangefinder from an e-bay store also. It would not focus on one side. I returned it under warranty, they did not fix it, returned it in same condition. I complained and they told me to return it again. After the second attempt (still under warranty), they said there was nothing wrong with it, and they would not repair or replace it.

I sold it and bought a Leupold. I own about a dozen Bushnell scopes and binoculars, but that will be my last purchase from them. I do have a 6-24 4200 scope that I like a lot. Where it is purchased should have no bearing on the warranty, to the original owner.

Chowder

I had an learning experience concerning the Bushnell products. My scope was a 4200 series also. The scope was new out of the box. I sent it in for repair, which they fixed in a short turnaround time. I remounted the scope and zeroed it at 200. Everything shot well when I did not touch the elevation or windage adjustments. As soon as I would put my doping in the shot would not be on POA. Investigation shows the 1/8 moa adjustments were way off. I have tired of this scope and my Leupold now sits on this rifle and the Bushnell sits in the closet. Lesson learned.

Where it is purchased should have no bearing on the warranty, to the original owner.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more, but you can't tell Bushnell that. I won't be buying any more of their products.

I have a 6-24X50 4200 tactical and noticed at times that it suffered from chromatic aberration: it was most noticeable when resolving red against white, the color would appear to bleed. I contacted a Bushnell rep who was replying to a thread on another site. He sent me a prepaid UPS label and I sent in my scope for evaluation. He notified me when he received it and that they were evaluating it.

When weather delayed testing outside he offered to replaced the scope if I was in a rush. A few days after that He notified me that he was sending me a new scope since the snow storms were not netting up and outside testing could not be completed. They send me the newest version of the tactical with the broad band coatings and 70 MOA of adjustment.

Now, this was just a few weeks ago so it is current. I've got to say their communication was superb and the end result was very satisfactory.

I hope your experience will be as good.

TAC

Chowder thought I would give you an update on my scope repair. Talked to bushnell today and they said they were unable to repair my scope so they are sending me a new model 4200 tactical. Hope your situation works out as wells as mine did.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.