Anybody know anything about Vortex Viper Binoculars?

700man

I am looking at a pair of Vortex Viper 10x42 binoculars. Does anybody know if these are any good ? .I heard that they won the best of the best award from Field and Stream for 2007. Please give me any input on these binoculars. Thanks 700 Man

The new issue of Outdoor Life with the gear test didn't think too highly of them. I've never handled any myself.

I had a dealer near here that ordered a truckload of the Vortex stuff based on the samples that they received for inspection. The comments i heard were "outstanding" and "Awesome". When his order arrived he shipped it all back and did not reorder.

Seems the second lot came in with truely horrible glass. I think they even mentioned seeing a set of binoculars that were misaligned.

Too bad, the headquarters is less than 100 miles from where i live. I really wanted to try their 50mm scope. Now I just dont have the nads to spend the money.

we ordered in a shipment of some of their first production stuff. So far i have been really pleased with there stuff. now i cant speak for any second shipment stuff but so far i was pleasently suprised by their glass and reticles.

steve

I looked at Outdoor Life's Optics Test 08 and did not see the Vipers tested???

Listen, if you go to my homepage, you will see the Viper 8x42. So far, they are the best bino at the price point period. They just beat the Minox High Grade in our testing and next up is the Leupold Gold ring HD at much more money.

We offer your unconditional satisfaction on any Viper or Razor binocular. The are simply superb.

I'll have a more in depth review in my blog very soon.

Scott

I bought a pair of Vipers before deer season last year and flat out love them. While Vortex is a new player on the block on binocs and other optics, they are an excellent bargain IMO and perform better than any others in their price range.

I tested a hell of a lot of binocs before buying and as far as brightness, FOV, looks, and durability/warranty, these are very hard to beat IMO.

Optical quality is good for the price. Durability is an issue however with many people i have spoken with.

I believe the overall optical quality is better than the price, and do tell about the durability issues. Is this from dealers? Customers? What were the issues? Impact breakages? Wearing out? Things coming loose?

Thanks.

Scott

One guy had the focus knob on his spotting scope go out (as in not work at all) 2 days into a 7 day hunt. He ended up somehow returning it to the store he got it from and went with a different brand. Similar problems on the binoculars, parts coming loose, etc. To be fair, I've never owned a pair, I have just had friends tell me they were disappointed in their "toughness and physical quality".

OK, now we're getting somewhere. The spotters are made in China and I am not a fan of them, I won't steer anybody to their spotters.

The Vipers and Razors are high spec Made in Japan and I've never heard of that happening. I've had it happen with other higher end makes but not the Vortex yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

Scott

Why is like 90% of all sporting optics made in China? Cheap cost with reasonable quality for the masses.

As to why Vortex chose this route, only they can answer that. I can tell you that I have shared the complaints about the spotters with them, and recently returned all the Impact spotters I had after I spent some time with them. To their credit, they take it in stride. A great bunch of folks.

Scott

I understand that it is cheaper. I was asking why they would knowingly sacrifice quality on their spotting scopes. "Reasonable quality" and spotty construction are not attractive to me. I'd rather spend more and be confident that my optics won't let me down in the middle of a hunt. To each his own.

Thumbs up for Vortex

I just read a great review of the Vipers over on Snipershide.com Cameraland.com has them priced right. The reviewer bought a pair of "blems" said the rubber coating was a little off color, paid $127$

I love my Monarch ATB's but may get a pair for my "daughter"???

If you buy them give us a range report.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.