Any experience with 195gr 284win?

Kroberts

I'm thnking about switching out to the 195gr class of bullets in my 284win. I've had great results with the 180s out to about 1200yards. But once I step out further I have much more trouble with wind. If I've used proper BCs and speed in my calculator, the 195's should have 1/4 - 1/3 less wind drift at a mile than the 180s do with an almost negligible drop difference. At 1000 yards and in the 180s definitely beat out the 195s. Much flatter and a little difference in wind drift. With this rifle 99.9% of my shooting is at targets so the drop dofference isn't to significant of a factor as long as I can still reach a mile with my scope setup. My barrel is 32" with a 7" twist if that makes a dofference for anyone's input and I've got 2900fps from the 180s but it performs better at 2830fps.

For those that have tried the 195s in a 284win, I'm curious as to how they performed from the cartridge? How was the loading compared to the 180s? And we're they very finicky to find a tight load with comparatively? And what was your speed and barrel length, so I have some real world numbers to plug into the calculator to get a more proper calculation?

Thanks,
Kyle

I found a load pretty quick and easy. Just ran them the same jump as my 180's with 1 less gr of h4831. No idea of velocity, printed sub 1/4". Gonna give them a ride saturday at mid range shoot. My calculator says they buck the wind 1/4moa better than the 180's at my guessed velocity, it gets windy out here and shooting against guys who've placed at nationals isn't easy.

After reading about the RL26 craze I'd really like to see what it would do in my 284. Might push upward of shehane h4831 velocities.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.