any 6.5x55 fans?

+ 1 for Norma Ammo. I reload both .243 and 6.5x55. The 6.5 has slightly larger case capacity (powder) and heavier bullets. 140gr in the 6.5 usually, 55gr in the .243 for my youngest boy to shoot, and its accurate, or 95gr for hunting. I have found 6.5x55 usually available on the shelf when all .243 where sold out.

I bought a Finnlight 6.5 Swede this spring. Have been shooting Nosler 140 gr custom comps for shooting bullets and have some 140 Accubonds loaded for hunting. Hope to find a black bear to bloody the rifle this fall

The 140s shoot great. The Finnlight is great handling and a fun rifle to shoot

Robster80,

I don't post very often here so my opinion may not matter much.

The 6.5x55 is a very good and accurate round and as stated previously, can be loaded up to some impressive ballistics if you handload.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the cartridge base on the 6.5x55 is .480 as compared to the standard .473 base of comparable rounds. Probably won't matter unless your bolt face is a tight custom made.

I built a 6.5x55 for my wife and she absolutely loves it and it has been the demise of many whitetails.

I have 1 rifle 6.5x 55 and think it's a great calibre.
The case has a greater capacity than the .308 case the Creedmore is based on so you can load it to higher velocities without exceeding max pressures.
I use the European reloading charts not USA based charts. The SAAMI specs are weeny for some reason and consequently nothing derived in the US for the Swede is loaded even close to it's potential.
I'm not entirely sure why. The Swedish Husqvarna made 96 rifles are very strong and have large lock up areas on the bolt. Larger than the Mauser 98s.
Anyhow the Swedes use full loads in all their rifles and it is an inherently accurate calibre.
Have a look at this site for some suggestions on projectiles.
Extensive Field-Tested Rifle & Cartridge Research - BallisticStudies.com

I meant to add that I'm building another rifle based on the BSA CF2 action (very strong, great trigger and cheap).
The barrel will be 27" heavy profile from Tobler in Australia.
1:8 twist and I'll keep the Zeiss 6.5x20 x 50 scope on it. I'm going for a steel plate 400mm x 350mm at 1000m as an initial goal.

Ive some bedding bugs to iron out as it currently strings shots. It has a Tobler 26" heavy profile in .223 Rem on it and will be a swap barrel rifle.
300m gives a 30mm x 100mm 5 shot group using (55gn Hornady) .223 hunting loads.

Attachments

• 20140913_164127.jpg
    20140913_164127.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.