Any .50 BMG or Cheytac Hunters out their?

Rick,
To post an image type
url] and then type

That sure is a big beasty... *grin*

africa128.jpg

Thank you sir.
Yes it IS a big beastie!!

Here is entry wound I mentioned using Amax, there was NO exit at all, just bullet fragments all through the body cavity
Deadstuff011.jpg

Last edited:
To all,

First off, Dave and I have not always agreed on certain topics which is not a problem in any way, that is why this sight is as good as it is, lots of very experienced people offering many views and many different experiences to everyone.

I also know that Dave would not post something if he did not have solid data, results or a source that is without question.

Dave has told me who his source is and knowing that I have no reason at all to question the events as discribed. That says, the specifics of the situations are not known so there may be more to the story.

All we know is that a 375 CT was used on some big game animals with less then positive results.

What happened the first time the 300 WBY came out and hunters started throwing the 150 gr cup jacketed bullets at over 3500 fps and hammering big game in the shoulder. Often times things worked out great, just as often, severe problems arose and game was wounded and even lost.

Why, was this the fault of the rifle, nope, the fault of the bullet, nope, the fault of the hunter, nope, at least not at that time because they did not know any better. Now if today the same thing was done with a light thin jacketed bullet in a large magnum, yes, that would be the fault of the shooter, we know better now.

With the 375 CT or my Allen Magnum. We are in new territory. The biggest 375 out there is the 378 Wby Magnum. Most 375 bullets out there are designed for 375 H&H velocity ranges which are 300-400 less then the Wby. Most work well in the big Wby but they are certainly stressed more then they were designed to be.

There are new bullets that work much better with the big Wby but when we look at the big 375 CT or Allen Magnum, we are taking another huge jump up in performance. Instead of a 300 gr bullet at 2900 fps, we are now dealing with a 300 gr bullet at +3500 fps. Thats 600 fps over what is already a stressed bullet.

Are we going to have some growing pains, YEP, will there be failures in the field, unfortunately yes there will be. There is no way around that and simply a cost of getting things right. Never is something 100% right from the start and in the case of the 375s based on the Chey Tac case, we are into new territory that is far and away over what anyone is used to.

So do I believe these events happened, now that I know the source, yes. Do we know why these things happened? No because we do not know the specifics of the hunts. We do not know the specifics of which bullets were used as far as which generation of SMK. There are no big game bullets made that are designed for the velocity potential of the 408 based 375s so I can see why all of them could fail in certain situations.

We simply need more experience with this new chambering.

There will be successes and failures but we will learn, modify, change and adapt and that ratio will drop dramatically. Growing pains is all we are dealing with.

We just need more data and field results before we fly off the handle at someone for posting something we do not think is possible.

Do I think this will be a chronic problem with the 375 CT or Allen magnum, certainly not, I personally feel it will be the most devistating long range advancement in many years. Just have to get bullet technology to catch up to the performance we can not get.

Kirby Allen(50)

The guy who built my 375/408 was originally using 350 Grain SMK's. He had to abandon all of them in favor of Barnes TSX bullets due to the fact that the SMKs were coming apart in the barrel. He told me that he would fire a three round shot group, look at the target and see two holes and a spray of holes. Sometimes this spraying would occure on the first shot. The Barnes had no problem and consistently maintained sub-MOA accuracy. Is it possible that this is an explanation for what you are talking about?

I talked to someone who shot 3 whitetails at medium range 500-800 yds with a 375/408 using SMK bullets. one deer was hit twice. holes were described as golf ball sized wound channels. all 3 were still alive for more than 4 hours after being shot. another group shot 3 elk with similar results, only they used a conventional hunting bullet. 2 of the 3 were alive for quite a while after being shot. the first said he'll never take a 375/408 hunting again.

*** is the thing sticking through the entry hole?

Body fat. The area around the entry was devoid of hair as well. I saw a large puff of fur blow off him when the bullet struck. When we got to where he was it was much like someone had burst a pillow filled with deer hair.
The other really weird thing was finding the aluminum tip of the Amax bullet sitting beside the body.
This year I switched to a locally produced 750 gr bonded hollow point and got 1/2" in and 2" out with not nearly as much destruction inside.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.