Any 22-284 shooters?

I never shot the rifle "hot" and always kept the bore clean using the usual BR cleaning precautions. Put 1,000 rounds down the tube before accuracy took a noticeable turn south. The rifle was rechambered in 22-243 (plain) and has been shot very little since the rechambering. It appears that you can get nearly the same velocity with or without the AI conversion and any gain is not worth the effort to me any more.

Too many rifles and too little time. :D

Found a good load, correction to an earlier load post (H1000 43grains) should have read 53grains.

Tried seating depths and found the combo I need for varmint work! All shot at 100 yards so far, 53 grains of H1000, 3470fps, 75grn A-Max.

Attachments

• 100_3025.JPG
    100_3025.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 100_3024.JPG
    100_3024.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 103
Been always curious about this chambering. Got a 22 CHeetah MK 1 going this summer. 1-15" Pacnor on a Cooper model 22. Using the Lapua Palma brass and love it. Really only making a load manual for the cartridge for time being, for others to use who may want to try the CHeetah. Trying every conceivable powder and running up trough the charges recording velocity.

Think I may be on to a real doozy with H380 cuz hittin upper 4200's FPS and no pressure what so ever. Most every powder I've tried will push 52gr Watsons to 4200+ but show a little agitation around the head stamp. Not the case with H380 tho, I've yet to try the next slowest Hodgdon powder, H414...

Tim j

That sounds like it will be some valuable load data when you are finished. Seems finding 22cal overbore load info is hard to come by, I know I looked for quite a while collecting data before I loaded a 22-284 round for development. I found H380 to be very temp. sensitive in a 22-250 I was working with, keep me posted on the finished data book as I would be interested in buying a copy.

Well my friend and myself have our 22-284's finished. We have completed barrel brake in and load development. We are shooting a 80 grain Berger with 55 grains of RL 25 and CCI primer with Nosler brass. Very pleased with the Brux barrel as it shows no copper fouling at all, and cleans up with only a few patches. The guns have both shot .25" 3 shot groups at 100 yds. MV is 3600-3613 FPS with a 27.5" barrel.

Pretty simple. We start with 6.5-284 nosler brass. Then run it through a 6mm - 284 die. Final stage is running it through the 22-284 die. These are redding dies we got from Graffs. After the first firing they grow quite a bit, after the first trimming they are good.

Here is the target from Beeman. This should work for coyotes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 66
Boy that's a lot of powder to be burned in such a small tube.. how many shots can the barrel handle before it gets to hot, I would think not many..and how often must it be cleaned to keep accuracy at that level. It obviously shoots get groups and is deadly to say the least.. did you ever chrony any loads. thanks and good luck.

Right now up here there isn't much chance of anything getting hot LOL. Right now most of the shooting is done at around -5F (-20C).
Accross the chronograph they are 3613-3625 with the 80 gr berger. Shooting a 3 shot group with a minute or so between shots the barrel is not even warm.
Were hoping to take the out tomorrow and stretch them out to 500 yards and see how they work,only problem is it's supposed to be even colder tomorrow.

Barrel life won't be that long, they should be good for 1000 rounds for sure. And by that time a person will be tired of them and it will time to spin a new barrel on and try something new.

Been always curious about this chambering. Got a 22 CHeetah MK 1 going this summer. 1-15" Pacnor on a Cooper model 22. Using the Lapua Palma brass and love it. Really only making a load manual for the cartridge for time being, for others to use who may want to try the CHeetah. Trying every conceivable powder and running up trough the charges recording velocity.

Think I may be on to a real doozy with H380 cuz hittin upper 4200's FPS and no pressure what so ever. Most every powder I've tried will push 52gr Watsons to 4200+ but show a little agitation around the head stamp. Not the case with H380 tho, I've yet to try the next slowest Hodgdon powder, H414...

Tim j

How's the data progress going!

I enjoyed reading this thread. Always liked the hotrod rounds.

Surprised with the powder choices. I would think RL-33, Retumbo and maybe even US 869 might be better powders for this overbore chambering.

My 6mm-284 does very well with RL-33. Heavy 28" 5R bartlein 105 Berger hybrid 3535 fps.

Anyone ever try the slower powders?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts