Antelope buck size guess?

buckand bull

Hey all, any guess on my Dads antelope buck size we did the reccomended measurement on length at 15 3/4 but not sure on the rest of measurements. The taxidermist is a SCI official judge but anticipation has me impatient. Anyways any guess's would be great. Thanks in advance!!
My bucks cape is on the right and measured 15 1/4 I am happy no matter what they score because the memories are what counts with my dad!!

this is a great site and all the knowledge here as well!!

thanks

Attachments

• vd.bmp
    506.3 KB · Views: 196
  • untitled.bmp
    506.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 306337_2345070877273_1565060541_2465980_1041060129_n.jpg
    306337_2345070877273_1565060541_2465980_1041060129_n.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 222233.bmp
    506.3 KB · Views: 132
Kinda going off memory here, so this may not be exact, but it will get you close.

You get 4 circumference measurements, at equally spaced intervals. The first one is at the base. Next one approx 4" up, next approx 8" up, last approx 12" up.

You also get a cutter or prong lenght on each horn, measured from the back center of the horn around the outside to the vertical center of the cutter and then out to the tip.

Add the 2 lengths, the 8 circumference measurements, and the 2 prong lengths.......that's the gross score.

Again, this is not official; but it should get you close.
Nice bucks, congratulations!!

Here's what I do:

1) Length of each horn from the base (hard to do while horns are still attached)

2) Divide the length of the longest horn by 4 - this is where your four mass measurements come from. For example - your dad's head has 15.75" length, your mass measurements will come every 3.9" up from the base plus the base mass.

3) Length of prong - the length of prong is measured from a point on the back of the horns where a straight edge (ruler) touches both horns. Around from the back of the horn to where the prong starts to branch off of the horn - then follow the upper edge of the prong to the end.

4) Add everything to get your gross score.

5) To get your net score, add all of the differences from one horn to the other on each measurement (length on left vs. length on right, base mass, mass at each circumference, length of prong) all differences need to be totaled. Subtract the total differences from the gross. That's the net - some say net's are for fish!

Depending on the mass measurements, I would say they would score in the low to mid 70's - just a guess though. The important thing is the memories with your Dad! And, the trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

gun)

Thanks guys we werent expecting to find dandys or get one but we were curious to see. I guesss the taxidermist is a SCI certified scorer and said they thought it would for sure qualify for bronze. Both horns are the same length, and have good mass. My dad used that system and came up with 74 net conservatively, but like I said he has never done it before. We are happy no matter what. thanks guys for all the info!!

Id guess mid 70, if you go to the boone and crockett website they have a form that explains step by step and it is easy to follow

Boone and Crockett Club

Or if you go to the pope and young website they have a more printer friendly version, they measure then the same fir both so it doesn't really matter, I usually print thus one then go type them in on the B&C website to double check my math

The Pope and Young Club - A Leading Bow Hunting and Conservation Organization click on the pdf file to print the form

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.