Antelope at the table?

Discussion in 'Antelope Hunting' started by joseph, Nov 18, 2009.

1. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

I've never eaten any speed goat. I've had plenty of deer, some moose, buff and domestic goat and lamb.

What does the Pronghorn taste like. How do you season and cook it?

joseph

2. NomadPilot

NomadPilot Well-Known Member

Most of mine have been sausage or ground. The ground was great in spaghetti/lasagna/etc and good mixed with beef for burgers. I marinaded the loins with this: Kelly Reinemer's Antelope Marinade | Field & Stream for a day then grilled them. I was shocked how good it turned out. I'll use it again next time for sure.

3. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

Does it have a gamey flavor like deer or is it more like lamb or something else?

joseph

4. elkregulator

elkregulator Well-Known Member

Ground with bacon pieces and cheap sausage for fat

5. NomadPilot

NomadPilot Well-Known Member

The marinaded loins tasted like beef honestly.

And the sausage (or whatever elkregulator was getting at) of course tasted more like what it was made with than the actual antelope. The ground was drier than beef, and perhaps a little sagey (indicative of their diet), but still very good.

6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

It depends on what they feed on (the ones I have harvested here in MT feed mostly on wheat and alfalfa ... where I hunted in AZ and NM, they feed on sage brush so they are gamey) and how you take care of the meat after the shot and how you prepare it. Having said that, my MT antelope harvest are not gamey at all and I cook them like I would beef. I like their meat better than deer.

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I agree with this 100%. If it bounced around on the back of a flat bed truck in the sun you probably wont like it. But if it was cooled out quick after the kill and properly processed you are in for a treat. We had MT. antelope for dinner tonight. A buck that measured 16 2/8's. It was prepaired like beef and tasted just as good. I grew up eating Iowa corn fed whitetails... Antelope is WAY better in my opinion.

Jeff

8. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Plus 2...

IMO, alfalfa fed antelope is the best tasting meat on the planet. i like it better than the best beef I've had. In fact I'm cooking up some spaghetti with antelope grinds now. On the flipsdie, sage fed antelope is the strongest gamiest meat I've ever had. Good for heavily spiced sausage.

Also, you need to get them cooled as qick as possible. That makes a HUGE differnce.

Mark

9. mudbug

mudbug Well-Known Member

I like antelope better than deer also. I mostly fry it. Cut it thin, add a little worcherstershire(sp?) sauce, some Tony Chachere's, dust with flour and into the deep fryer!! YUM!!!!

10. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

If I can, I give it away. If I do want one for camp meat I will try to shoot a fawn. Of course I also gave away a whole elk.

11. gcamp54

gcamp54 Well-Known Member

I killed my first antelope this year and got a buck and doe. The meat on both have been excellent. This is the first game meat my wife really likes. I de-boned it right away and kept it cool until I got back to Florida. The cuts of meat have no membranes or tendons in them. I cut all that out. I harvested both in Eastern Wyoming. So far I've fried all the antelope I've eaten so far.

Gordon
    Niceville, FL

12. esshup

esshup Well-Known Member

I've only shot 3 antelope so far, and all 3 have been very good table fare. We fill the body cavity with ice as soon as they are field dressed, and butcher them that afternoon/evening. I normally fry mine in olive oil after coating them with either dry bisquick seasoned with lemon pepper and garlic or rolled in a dry cajun fish batter.

13. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

That is a good idea. I normally have both of those ingredients in my cooking gear.

14. shimoda

shimoda Well-Known Member

I believe a gym sock would be palatable prepared this way.

We live on game in my house and antelope is always a treat.