Another varmint rifle, would like some help :)

matt_3479

So I already own a 243. Win that shoots 1/2 groups with factory 80 grain soft point. I bought it for the general purpose of coyotes and long range targeting as well as deer. I love the rifle but it's heavy, and don't always need a large round like that so
I am in the market for a smaller, carry around varmint rifle for the main purpose of ground hogs, squirrels, foxes, crows, and coyotes when they come out. Originally I was going get a 22-250 or 223. Remington but for
Some reason I really don't like the 223. Where I hunt there is virtually no wind!! The shots will be within 300 yards. I was thinking a 22-250 but I don't think I need it, so
My next thought was the 204. Ruger. I have been extremely interestedin this round and want one but don't want to make a mistake. I figure, cause I have to heavy 243. Win i can risk the light 204. Ruger. What are people's thoughts. I know the 204 ruger is plenty of gun for tge animals listed I just want to hear thoughts and experiences.

The 204 ruger will be in a Remington sps stainless, 24" barrel.
And the 22-250 will be in a savage axis stainless 22" barrel

I would really consider the .204R a .221 FireBall or a .20 VarTag if you reload, a few semi custom gun makers use this chamber like cooper.

The vartag will send a 32gr down the Tube @ 3700 fps with 18grs of powder.... :D

The 204 will shoot flatter at the distance you mention just because of the velocity alone. You can sometimes get the 22-250's w/ 50grn bullets to shoot 3900+'/sec in some rifles, but it takes around 40+ grains of powder to do it. I am sure the 204 has plenty of punch for the game you mentioned and the distances you mentioned.

Buying factory ammo, 22-250 might be a little cheaper. Reloading, 204 will be cheaper just due to less powder burned. More ammo and bullet choices in 22-250.

One thing to mention about the 20 calibers, you will find that you'll need a few extra things just because of the caliber. 17-20 cal cleaning rod, jags and brushes, 17-20 caliber cleaning patches, 20 caliber case trimming pilot, 17-20 caliber powder funnel, 20 cal flash hole debur rod, 20 cal pilot stops, ect. Most of this stuff is generally available for 22 caliber and up, but still kinda catching on and just a little harder to find in 20 cal.

Last edited:
Ive read some good things about the savage edge/axis rfles. I say go for one of those or a savage 10, in 204. The axis are cheap enough to not be a huge decision, but if you go with a savage 10 then at least you get the accutrger and the option to easily put a different custom barrel on in the future. My local walmart had those axis rifles for $277. Oh ya look at stevens too, then you have the option of switching barrels later too.

My go-to walk around varmint rifle is my CZ527 American .223 with a 4.5-14x40 Leupold on it. I know you don't like the .223, but loaded with a 40g NBT the rifle shoots tiny little groups and just plain destroys ground hogs. PBR +/- 3/4" from line of sight is just under 250 yards, easy to hold for first shot hits out to 300 yards. Hit them anyplace in the body with that bullet and it drops them right in their shadow - abliet with some significant disassembly.

223CZ527Stock-1CRS.jpg

The same rifle in .204 Ruger would be an amazing walk around ground hog rifle and flatter shooting.

Fitch

I like the 22-250 or the 220 swift over the 204 on coyotes, I have never had a coyote run off from the first two.
But if your worried about hides the 204 will be easiest on fur.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts