Another trip is logged

Ian M

.416 Barrett. What does it do on big animals at distance? 400 gr. bullet @ 3200fps
Like they say on Dora the Explorer - We did it, we did it...
Will pop more info when I can.

Sounds like another good story coming our way. Had a question for you on the 416 Barrett. Can you tell me why in the world they limit that round to 3200 fps with a 400 gr pill?

My 338 AM will drive a 375 gr pill to well over 3000 fps in any barrel length over 33" in the testing I have done so far. It seems the extra 50 grains of powder with the larger bore should be able to get well over what they are getting in any barrel 32" or longer.

Am I off on the potential velocity output of this round?

It just seems to me that bullets with similiar design and similiar sectional density can usually be driven to similiar velocities in rounds that have similiar expansion ratios.

The sectional density of the 300 gr SMK is 0.375. The SD for the 400 gr 416 bullet is .330. It just seems like to me they should be able to get a hell of alot more velocity then they are out of that bullet weight with that bore diameter and case capacity?

Intereted in your thoughts since you have obviously pulled the trigger on the barrett a few times!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
Could be that round is just waiting for fellows like you to work its potential. I believe you would enjoy playing with it a lot.
I will share a bunch of stuff down the road a bit.

Ian, I wondered where you were lately. I await your story with bated breath...or something like that.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.