Another new powder, from Winchester this time

Ian M

Hodgdon's will be distributing this. Here is a press release on the new Win. powder. I try to keep you guys well informed, eh!

WINCHESTER® SMOKELESS PROPELLANT "For Loading Professionals"
Tim Vaitekunas Director of Marketing and R&D today announced a potent new addition to the Winchester Smokeless line called Supreme 780™. Supreme 780 is the same powder loaded in Winchester's factory Supreme® ammunition including 243 Win., 270 Win., and 300 Win. Mag.

"This propellant allows the handloader to duplicate Winchester Supreme factory loads," said Tim discussing this product. "Our state-of-art ballistics laboratory has initially developed data for 14 different cartridges with over 35 different recipes".

Supreme 780 is a Ball Powder® propellant, which means easy measure flow resulting in the most consistent charge weights. Comparable in burn speed to H4831®, it fills a spot that previously was not available in Winchester Smokeless offerings.

One and eight pound containers will be available at dealers Spring 2008. Supreme 780 reloads are now on-line at wwpowder.com in the Reloading Data Center.

I always like to hear that a new slow burning propellant is being released, but lets hope that they continue to make it available, and not discontinue within a few years, like they did with 780BR, 785, WMR, and WXR.

Supreme 780 sounds almost like a re release of WIN 780BR or 785 if the burning rate is similar to H4831. I still have some 785 (and WMR & WXR) from several different lots left from purchases about 20 years ago, and so far my testing in a variety of cases has shown that the burning rate of 785 is the same or within about 0.5 grains of H4831.

I agree that it will be interesting to hear shooters experiences with Supreme 780.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.