Another ladder...

Just finished making a target paper with twelve target spots. Took me about an hour 'cause I'm such a computer genius. I plan on firing ten different primers for three shots each unless two shots are not worth the time. I will also include one with the WLRM primer at 47.5. I twisted the seater down .030" but forgot to measure until they were all loaded and checked for runout. They are only -.025".

I wish I could un-proudly say I pulled a shot or two. But I liked the hold on everyone.

Here are the results of a couple hours of shooting this morning. There were a few with a stiff bolt lift as indicated on the target, including the 47.5 grain at the bottom right. The "L"s are 7/8" tall because I couldn't get the computer to make 1" like I want. I'm wondering if one fires enough groups will you eventually get a good one like the Federal 210 primer. It coincidentally produced the highest velocity and the smallest spread. The two standard CCI primers produced very consistent velocities, also. Temperature started at 59 degrees and went up to 71 degrees.

I'm beginning to think this is not a good barrel. But I will load five each of CCI 200, Rem 9 1/2, and +Fed 210 and see if these can be verified.

20170826_131328_Film1.jpg

Rich, before scrapping the tube, I'd try a different powder and primers. Try some CCI primers and also some Federal 210M's.

I think I remembered you saying this is a 6.5 Creed, if so, powders I recommend trying would be Varget and CFE-223. Both shoot exceptionally and consistently in my .308 Win, 6.5 Grendel, and several of my smaller cartridges.

Also, are you scrubbing the bore after every range session? If so, that can also cause some serious inconsistency issues because the barrel is not being allowed to properly foul itself (filling up rifling inconsistencies with copper and powder carbon creating a smooth surface).

Also, contrary to what we were all taught growing up about always cleaning your gun after you shoot it...Excess cleaning can cause premature bore, leade, and throat wear that can lead to accuracy issues.

Last edited:
I have been cleaning it so I guess I will give it a try "dirty". The next three groups will be on a barrel not cleaned after the above range session. It will have thirty-five shots on it.

I have been cleaning it so I guess I will give it a try "dirty". The next three groups will be on a barrel not cleaned after the above range session. It will have thirty-five shots on it.

It's worth a shot. Most of my factory barreled rifles, do NOT like to be shot clean. After a good cleaning, they have to have 5-10 fouler shots before the groups start tightening up, so I don't ever clean them until they start throwing shots, which can take 100-200 rounds, and sometimes several range sessions to reach that count. Modern smokeless powders are non-corrosive, so they will not damage your gun like old school smokeless, and old corrosive east-block steel cased surplus ammo used to. Black powder is also a nasty substance from all the sulfur in it. Black powder guns, even using Pyrex pellets and inline systems, still need to be cleaned after every use.

Went to the range and fired three groups. None were any good so I called a friend who is an excelent 'smith. I begged his friendship to impose on him to at least look at this rifle and tell me if he could find any problems causing inconsistent and poor accuracy. In about fifteen seconds he found three problems so I left it with him.

Went to the range and fired three groups. None were any good so I called a friend who is an excelent 'smith. I begged his friendship to impose on him to at least look at this rifle and tell me if he could find any problems causing inconsistent and poor accuracy. In about fifteen seconds he found three problems so I left it with him.
Keep us updated.

Your ladder tests utterly confused me, I had to the same thought as mud that you need to switch powders and primers, something is not working.

What did the smith find wrong with the gun?

The first thing he noticed was the bedding was touching on one side at the back and not on the other side. There was something touching in the trigger area and the bolt was rubbing on one side of its channel. The stock is a very cheap original Savage plastic stock. He told me he wants to try it in a chasis stock to see what happens. I have no idea when he will get to it.

I'm very new to long range shooting and ladders, ocw, etc, so if this sounds stupid please take sympathy. But that last target, the upper right corner and lower left corner groups look promising and the velocity spread is quite small. Wouldn't those loads be worth exploring with differing COAL?
Thanks,
Scott

scott63,

You are correct. But I couldn't duplicate anything so I don't trust the rifle. When I get it back from the 'smith it should be much more reliable. For all I know the twenty year old Nightforce is a contributing factor. If he can't make it shoot better I will install a different scope on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts