Another ladder...

Rich Coyle

Here's another ladder I fired at 300 yards today. Is there anything worth pursuing? The bullets are a couple thousandths from the rifling. There was a slight right to left breeze.
20170824_101040_Film1.jpg

Were there any pressure signs at 47.6" If not, I would explore the area from 47.3 to 47.9. Velocity increase has leveled off considerably at the last 2 loads at just 3 fps. If velocity increase from 47.6 to 47.9 is close to that this would be a good, wide node. If I didn't want to go any higher, I would still investigate between 47.3 & 47.6 so see if this is repeatable. 47.4 or 47.5 might be a good place to be.

I am getting this primarily from your changes in MV. There is nothing on this target to give me a size reference so I can't really tell how close the vertical between these two shots are. These are the only two consecutive shots with vertical dispersion this small on this target.

I would also run the Berger seating depth test in this load range as well.

Here's another ladder I fired at 300 yards today. Is there anything worth pursuing? The bullets are a couple thousandths from the rifling. There was a slight right to left breeze.View attachment 79850
2, 4, & 6 all look good, so I'd say try again somewhere between 46-47 grains, maybe at a different seating depth... How far off the lands are you? If a rifle has a long enough magazine to allow me to get jammed length, I try to shoot for as close to .015" off, as I can get, that way I don't get much "wobble" into the leade, but it's far enough away (in a normal scenario) to prevent severe pressure spikes. Also, usually if I can't get close consistency at .015" off in a standard 5-shot group ladder test (25 shots total, 5 shots of each powder charge gradually increasing each group by .1 grain or .2 grain increments, each group shot at a different/new target with a full cool-down in between groups), then I know I need to try another powder or another bullet...Or both.

Last edited:
The bullets are only a couple thousands from the lands. Lord willing tomorrow I will try three each at where it is, -.015", -.030", -.045", -.060", and -.075" with 47.0 grains. I will fire these at 100 instead of 300.

Did you have pressure signs on shot 8? If not I would try another step higher, or explore right around the charge of #8 with seating depth changes.

I don't understand the statement "2, 4 & 6 all look good". Yes, those 3 are all close to the same plane but 3 & 5 are way off. There is no node there. Also, if you look at the mv you will see large increases in mv with each load increment. From 7 to 8 there is only a 3 fps increase. This is exactly what Satterlee looks for in his "10 round load development". I would still suggest you go up one more step to see what happens if pressure is not an issue.

FWIW

Also FWIW, I don't like to be that close to the lands when looking for a node.

Depending on bullet lot, seater die and such...starting that close to the lands it's real easy to have one actually touch the lands and cause some inaccuracies in your test. It would mess with your velocity and vertical, It could show a node when there really isn't one or cover a good one up.

Take it or leave it, lot of ways to skin a cat. I just like to stay at least 10 off (or jammed) when looking for a node, then mess with seating afterwords.

LongBomber,
The primers on the last two were really starting to flatten.

dsculley,
I agree.

Clucknmoan,
What you're saying is new to me. In a couple hours I will fire the ones I loaded yesterday. By the way all these are full length size. The runout near the plastic tip runs from .001" up to .003".

The bullets are only a couple thousands from the lands. Lord willing tomorrow I will try three each at where it is, -.015", -.030", -.045", -.060", and -.075" with 47.0 grains. I will fire these at 100 instead of 300.
I feel like this is a good plan. Work on coarse adj(seating) first, then go to fine adj(powder) with a ladder.
I see nothing useful in the ladder you have right now.

A little disappointing. I'm going to load up three each at 47.0 and -.030" using several different primers and see what happens tomorrow, Lord willing. The .100" thick "L's" are 1" tall because I fired them at 100 yards. When I fire at 300 yards the "L's" are 3" tall.
20170825_104556_Film1.jpg

You said you have 3 of each, do you plan more ladders or an ocw?
From what I saw reviewing load data for this powder loads 7 and 8 were pretty much published max and your velocity matched theirs. If as I suspect there is a node at 47.5 the the next node below it should be about 46.1 but your ladder doesn't indicate that. If these are at -0.030 that may help sort this out.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts