Another bushing size question

newmexkid

OK. Presently I'm shooting a REM 700 Varminter in .243. I'm using Forester dies, (neck sizing). For the heck of it I have decided to purchase and try a Forester bushing die. But, I'm really confused. I have read various posts on bushing dies and I guess the general consensus is that most guys use a bushing .002 less than the measurements of a loaded round. I'm measuring about 1/3 of the way down on the neck. On a fired case I get a measurement of .278. On a neck sized case I get a measurement of .270. On a loaded round I'm getting right between .271 and .272. Could I be measuring wrong?Or is this right (assuming I'm getting accurate measurements). I just figured the loaded round measurement would be much larger than a sized unloaded case. So...If my measurements are correct do I still use a bushing that is .002 less than my loaded round measurements?

We just went thru this on a recent thread. Your measurements sound OK. The RULE OF THUMB is use a bushing about .002" under loaded. That is not etched in stone, you gotta try several. What bushing are you using now?

I usually select three bushings to get started. After testing on paper, I select the best. You can keep or sell the others.

When you size more than ~5thou with bushings the results get less than predictable(often in oversizing direction). Your chamber neck has so much clearance(8thou) that good bushing sizing may take some trial & error.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.