Anneling brass

MMM

Hi, I was wondering how many times one can annel brass. I have anneled my 338 lapua brass 3 times, and have found that some of the brass won't go soft. any input. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hi MMM,
Heat treatment of appropriate metals is a process that can be carried out over and over again, so yes you can anneal your brass again.
If after your usual treatment the brass is still hard, you either did not heat it up to a higher enough temperature or you cooled it to quickly.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Get a Tempilstik (heat crayon) rated for 650F. It sort of smears/crumbles onto the neck and shoulder of the brass.
Stand your brass (deprimed) in a tray of water. With the water halfway up the bodies.
Play the torch over the neck until the crayon melts/turns black. Then tip them into the water.
This has worked great for me. You have to watch out for over heating and ruining the brass.
There are many other ways to do it, including spinning the brass in a drill etc, fast cool vs slow cool etc.
I chose this way because I can do 50 in 5-10 minutes, and it works. You will feel the difference when you use your neck die again.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.