Annealing Cases

Buffalobob,
Thanks for the great video and pre- and post-annealing pictures. They really took all the guess work out of the process. I made up a tool with a 12 mm socket and a bolt I had lying around and annealed 90 cases in less than 15 minutes.

I also use the templestik method (i think mine is the 600-650 stick--i'm at work now so i'll have to check it wehn i get home). But i never could get it to stick on the outside of the neck so i just scraped a tiny bit off the case into the mouth, and wear a jewelers magnifier so i can see as closely as possible when the chalk melts. Then it gets cooled and then i take a brush to the neck to ensure any residue is gone from the neck. I haven't noticed even a discoloration inside the neck where the chalk was, so i'm assuming it's not harming the brass.

Thanks for the how-to post and Video's BB. I feel so smug and superior to my buddies who dont even know what anealing is or what it gains you. I was in this class not too long ago. All I knew was fire was used to soften up the brass some. How much, how long, what it actually did etc were a complete mystery. Now I cant wait to rub it in:D.
Im guessing my garage (with my loading bench) will be the new hang out for a while untill your demo goes viral. hahaha
Thanks again and the metalurgist explination was also a helpfull post. I forgot who wrote it, but with that explination and the anealing demo of BB's Im definately ''smug-er and superior-er'' than before:D HAHAHAHAHA
I love it when I learn something new that turns out to be so simple!

Great read and comments. This is a new process for me, and I may add it to my processing.
From a sequencing standpoint, starting with new brass what would be the groups recommended sequencing for:

• Initial sizing (I always do this even if it is only to round the neck mouth)
  • Neck turning
  • End trimming
  • De-burring neck mouth, Primer pocket uniforming, and flash hole de-burring.
  • Annealing (assuming new cases are not annealed)
Thank you for your time and support. I guess I should also ask whether to fire form first too.

New cases come annealed. They should not need to be annealed for three or four firings unless they are a wildcat and have had the neck worked a lot.

Remember that more heat is not better when annealing. Less is good.

Len,
This was the cost of an amateur home project. Picked the items up at the ACE Hardware in town. If I were to make you one I would have to include time/labor cost ($25.00 per hr), mileage ($1.62 per mile), S&H (current postal rates) and insurance (whatever the insurance guys feel like that day!). It may be cheaper for you to try it yourself first :).

Note: The WSM, H & H Magnum and .30-06 family of cases fit great inside the 14mm deep socket, and seem to have just the right amount of case sticking out for annealling. The short cases, .308 Win family, .22-250, .223, etc., don't have enough case exposed. I will have to visit ACE Hardware again whenever I plan on annealling these :) JohnnyK.

Now, that's a good answer... Cool sense of humor...

Thanks for posting the videos.!!

Annealing is pretty new to me, seems like the "new" thing to do for precision reloading.?

You make it look pretty simple in the videos. If it's as easy as it looks, I may end up trying it out in the future.

I sure can see some safety issues the way he is doing it.
Been relaoding for 40+ years and have never seen any thing
so slap hazzard as he is doing it!lightbulb

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.