Animal Targets at Range?

So does anyone shoot actual size animal targets at range versus banging steel or paper? For example, cardboard replica of average size buck with no lines? Just curious as why not? I think it provides better simulation of real world hunting. Of course, lot of operational draw backs but the type of practice shooting at brown cardboard similar to deer was a lot of fun.
I would if I could find a box big enough, but it's been my experience, especially in the warmer U.S. states, any box big enough has somebody sleeping it and won't give it up without a fight!

Friend of mine has a bunch of life size animal targets cut from AR 500 plate. deer, elk, wolve, coyote, bear, badger. Might even have a buffalo? Was going to do a 3D type long range course on his ranch but now I don't know if he will get it going this summer or not? Regardless, I think we will stand some up on my range this spring to plink at from 600 with the small ones out to 1000-1600 yards on the big targets. I will take some pics when we get some set up. Should be more fun than shooting gongs.

You know this may help one of our members, he has missed over 5 deer this year, all under 150 yards. No, that is not long range hunting, but . . . He does well at the range, but is a terror in the woods. Some of you are making this too hard about finding a target big enough, have you seen the boxes these giant Tv's come in, you can pick them up from your local box store. I don't use a full deer silhouette, I'm not looking at the whole deer, I am looking for one hair on his shoulder. I am shooting that.

One of the ranges we use has steel animal shape and sized targets for practice. Only the largest game animals like elk, moose or buffalo are not to actual scale.

Nope. 10x10 steel gives a sound report and it's the size of the vitals of most big game. Can't see tiny little holes in cardboard. Now life size steel targets are interesting but very expensive.

My range has a buffalo at 800 yards and coyote at 750 yards. I'm not sure if the buffalo is life size for I'm pretty sure the coyotes are. If no one is at the range you can shoot them at around 1230 yards and about 1170 yards.

So does anyone shoot actual size animal targets at range versus banging steel or paper? For example, cardboard replica of average size buck with no lines? Just curious as why not? I think it provides better simulation of real world hunting. Of course, lot of operational draw backs but the type of practice shooting at brown cardboard similar to deer was a lot of fun.
I've used the nra life size deer targets to practice on. 1 shot behind the shoulder and 1 in the ear every 100 yards...... can be very humbling.

Yes. I have springbok, warthog and gemsbok (oryx) life-sized which I practice on during the last practice-shoot before a hunt. Buck at 200mtrs and warthog at 50mtrs.
My club which is affiliated to CHASA (Confed of SA Hunters) arranges two club/field-shoots a year , inter alia, with warthog, springbok, blesbok and gemsbok up to 350 mtrs and the 5th discipline are 5 gongs (200x200mm) which we shoot at for points at different ranges and shooting-positions.
We also do the .22lr on similar target/animals (attached) , but scaled down to 30% of actual size - up to 100mtrs. Great fun.
Only problem is setting them up in windy conditions...

Attachments

• SPRINGBOK .22 A4.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
We actually made a few animals sized targets for our first trip to Africa in 2018 just for the novelty of shooting at them. It was fun but hard to see the hits at 500 plus yards. Thats why i like steel for the longer distance shots.