An appeal and reward for return of 30-378 Weatherby

budlight

Unbelievable bad luck upon return from Elk hunting. I live north of Sparks/Reno Nevada (same place the gun was lost)

We got back late tuesday the 11th of October. So we had a trailor with all of our hunting gear in a box and our two four wheelers. The guy took it all home with him and he was going to take his stuff out and then bring our stuff and the four wheelers back to town Wed morning. Well he pulled the 30-378 with brand new Swavorski mil dot scope and bipod in a double gun hard case and put it on one of the four wheelers to unpack.

He lives out north of town out in the hills on a gravel road. He said a couple of trucks passed him by on the way into the highway. He realized that he had left the gun on the four wheeler and saw that it had fallen off so he turned around and couldn't find it.

An add in the local paper hasn't turned up anything. I think that my name and address was on the case handle.

I had just bought all the reloading stuff and 100 cases to develop the loads for this hunt. The gun has only had 80 rounds through it.

It's kind of depressing, but it was a gold mine for the guy that found this gun and $1000 scope. Anybody hear of a gun like this being found. I've got a some reward money. The guy that lost it offered to pay me back, but he doesn't have that kind of money with a wife and kids.

I might just be having a yard sale on the dies + 50 loaded 190 gr SBT's 50 empty cases and 500-600 180, 190,200, and 220 grain bullets.

Budlight ,
That is some horrible luck bud, I sure hope it finds it's way home.There are alot of good people out there in the world , don't give up hope!!!Mike

If i found it you'd owe me $5 or $10 for gas.A man's got to get something---best of luck..

Very sorry for your loss! You might post on the AR15.com forum their site gets a lot of traffic. I would try under general discussion and the hometown forum

good luck

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Have you reported it to the police? I'd do that. Also you could post this on monstermuleys.com and 24hourcampfire as well as accuratereloading.com.

Good luck man. Sorry

Yes, The first thing was reporting it lost to police with serial numbers and pictures. Just in case it was going to be pawned. I offered $500 no questions ask and I'm thinking that $1000 might even be better return offer.

I've been mulling it over in my mind on whether to buy another 30-378 W. When I was down buying cases one day they had the 338-378 brass. It might be an even better caliber /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Then I come back to reality and say to myself that max loaded 220 grain even with 2 inch brake is not something I would want to take prarrie dog shooting.

Thanks guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.