Ammo for BAR .270WSM

BigTexan

Found a great deal on left-handed (!) Browning BAR .270WSM, so I picked it up. Have tried HSM and Federal ammo without much luck. My definition of luck being that I'd like to find a round with ~1MOA accuracy. 140 or 150gr and high BC would be luckier.

This is not the most fun range toy. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion that will save me some time and $ experimenting.

Not opposed to rolling my own eventually, but would prefer factory ammo for this season to get the platform up and rolling and make sure everything is copacetic.

So, what's worked for you with this combo? Or, if you think 1-1.5 MOA out of a BAR is barking at the moon, say so.

I don't know about your cartridge, but 1 MOA is definitely doable. I have a older Belgium BAR in 243 Win that shoots 90 and 95 gr ballistics tips into 1/4 MOA on a good day and 1/2 MOA regularly. It did take me a while to figure out though and neck sizing did not work. I have to full length size.

Your problem is that you bought a rifle chambered in a caliber with very little factory ammo available.

Looking on Ammo Seek you're limited to a couple of offerings from Federal and Winchester and that's about it.

270wsm ammo rifle

I've generally had good luck with Winchester Supreme and Federal Premium but that's no guarantee either will shoot well for you.

Your barrel twist rate will determine if you can stabilize the heavy for caliber offerings.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.