Amarillo, TX hogs

Win.308Stealth

Going down to Amarillo for work in a couple of weeks, and after the job gets done would like to do some hog hunting. Never hunted hogs or been to the great state of Texas. Would like to know what would be my best options- public land, rancher, outfitter, etc. There will be 3 of us and possibly one more. Just looking to enjoy a hunt and fill the freezer. Thanks.

308, was in Amarillo last month. Some relatives there said around Seymour is a good spot and it's not too far from Amarillo. There are a lot of feedlots around Amarillo and the "aroma" drifts in and out a lot. Saw millions of waterfowl there also.

Hogs in Amarillo. I Lived there off and on for 50 years and I have never seen one there. You are going to have to go drop off the cap rock. About two hours southeast. There is no public land where you can hunt in that area. Try finding an outfitter on the web is about your only option. If you like to go off road or shoot or coyote or turkey hunt(during the season) you can go north an hour to the Canadian River. The little bit of hunting is very tough even for the locals. This is the second largest off road area in the US. Take your dirt bike, four wheeler, dune buggy, side by side, four wheel drive and have fun. Oh by the way take a buddy with you. Quick Sand and not many trees.

Dosh is right about the out standing bird hunting. Go to Billy Fred's gun shop in shopping center on south side of freeway off Georgia exit. Maybe he can help you find an outfitter. If you want to go off road check the web for a local club. Great bunch of folks around there and it would be great if one of them would show you around the river.

Not called Billy Fred's anymore, now called River Fields. Also good luck to you to find hog hunting. Most all private land, very little if any public hunting land. What there is, it's heavily controlled by the state. Make sure you know where the boundaries are located, land owners in Texas are very protective of their lands and the trespass laws test to that. If I'm not mistaken you'll also need to purchase an out of state hunting license, even for taking predators. River Field's should be able to clarify that as well.

I am a land owner and I am glad the trespass laws are here, just wish we had some more public land to hunt on. I had hogs on my property southwest of Amarillo, but Parks and Wildlife came in with a helicopter when first spotted and eradicated them along with some local farmers helping out. Hogs are just too destructive to allow footholds and the agriculture here doesn't need another pest. Specially one that prolific and that destructive.

TexSavage, I hear ya on the tresspass laws, your land, you should decide what to do on it. I am VERY greatful that we have lots of public lands in Minnesota. We are looking into maybe even jumping over into Oklahoma if we need to.

Win I now live in Oklahoma. It's just like Texas. It's a shame but both states have very little public hunting. Land owners down here have been so abused by hunters that now if you ask they give you that ,"have you lost your mind". You might contact any gun stores in Elk City or Oklahoma City. Perhaps they can help you with an outfitter. Where I live in southern Ok we have hogs. However, we do not have a lot of cover so they are always on the move. You might see one today and then not see another for months. Make sure your outfitter has property that holds hogs. Best of luck. Post us some Pics.

If you want THE ULTIMATE HOG HUNT check out doing it from a helicopter. They were doing it south of Forth Worth. About $1200 per person a few years back. A little pricey but wow what an outstanding hunt and memories for a lifetime. I found them on the net. I am sure you can too, if interested.

Was able to book a last minute hunt with an outfitter that hunts in Texas and Oklahoma, so it might be either state. We are OK with that. First time hog hunting, Plus this will be mine and my brothers first suppressed hunt. The waiting begins.

Last edited:
let us know how it goes, i'm sure i'm not the only one interested!

planning on hog hunting in two weeks my self, just a bit north of Abilene.

Really!? I'm planning on moving back as soon as I can. Im in Denver for the moment. My girlfriend is born and raised in homer/anchor point

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.