Altitude Tools

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by greener280, Jan 9, 2012.

1. greener280

greener280 Well-Known Member

What is everyone using to get their altitude in the field? Looking for cost effective and quick to use in the field.

2. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

GPS is the best way.

3. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

With fluctuating barometric pressures, altimeters can lead you astray easily. Ballistically, the best way to calculate air density is to use a thermometer and a pressure guage. Using raw pressure you can completely forget about altitude and set the program to zero feet.

If you cannot afford a guage, then altitude is your next best option and as jmden stated, a GPS is by far the most accurate followed by a good topo map.

The Brunton units are pretty economical versus the Kestrals.

4. Johnboy

Johnboy Well-Known Member

if it helps I like to use Goggle earth.all you need to do is to just point out the place you will be shooting /hunting at and look at the bottom of the page.this altitude will be at what ever area you are pointing at.by pointing I mean the cursor you move with the mouse.

my altitude at the bech where I shoot is 262' above sea level useing goggel earth.

5. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

+1, all the altimeters I've used/seen work off of pressure to give you a height above sea level. The problem with this is the air pressure changes with the weather.