Alberta Spot and Stalk Blonde Bear

sambo3006

I killed my first black bear last fall with Swanspoint Outfitters and
returned this spring for more. Boy am I glad I did! I killed a nice 5 1/2 ft boar the
first day of the hunt.

On the fifth day of the hunt I killed this amazing 6 foot blonde bear after
a game of cat and mouse with him in the woods. He even had white
claws! The story of my hunt is going to appear in Bear Hunter Magazine, not
sure yet what issue. He is going to be a full body mount. Mike Tyson
couldn't slap the smile off my face!

That's not just a blond black bear its a spirit bear/kermode. They are extremely rare. There is a lot of native lore with spirit bears. They are protected in a lot of places, which makes the trophy that much more rare. Congrats on both.

I didn't think you could shoot those in Canada(Spirit Bear). Maybe it was just on Vancouver Island or something. That is the nicest "black bear" I have ever seen. Conrgrats!

Whatever it is, I've never seen anything like it before. Looks like a ghost bear. Lighter than a blonde grizzly. Very nice trophy for mounting.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

phorwath,
Funny you should say that. The title of my article for Bear Hunter Magazine is "The Ghost Bear".:D

It truly is the trophy of a lifetime. I'd love to go back up and hunt there again but how do I top this hunt?

God has truly blessed me this past hunting year. Last fall I took my first ever black bear and my best whitetail ever, a 144" 9 point and now these two bears. I know every year won't be like this so I'm very grateful for these amazing animals.

It truly is the trophy of a lifetime. I'd love to go back up and hunt there again but how do I top this hunt?

Sounds like you've had a great year, and you are absolutely right. The way I see it your black bear hunting days are over, anything else you get from now on will likely disappoint. You are going to have to pick something else. It will be sad not to be able to hunt bears but I am having a hard time working up sympathy :D

I still want a nice chocolate hide. I have a buddy in Utah who runs a pack of hounds for bear and lion. He has invited me to come out for bear or lion in exchange for a deer hunt. Almost all of the bears I see come out of southern Utah are chocolate. I've got enough bear points now so I might take him up on it in the next couple of years.

I still want a nice chocolate hide. I have a buddy in Utah who runs a pack of hounds for bear and lion. He has invited me to come out for bear or lion in exchange for a deer hunt. Almost all of the bears I see come out of southern Utah are chocolate. I've got enough bear points now so I might take him up on it in the next couple of years.

I always wanted a cinnamon. My buddy Rusty (red headed naturally......maybe they attract) got two of them in 3 years. I've never even seen one that wasn't hanging on his wall.

Southern Idaho probably has as many color phase bears as black bears. Half the bears on our bait were black and the rest were cinnamon,chocolate, or blonde.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.