alaska carabou rifle

jeff 300

I'm booked to go to Alaska in Sept caribou, wolf and maybe black bear hunting if i get lucky. The 16# 34" barrel 338 edge just doesn't sound fun to carry around. so I'm looking in to buying a lighter rifle r build one. Its hard to get away from the knock power power of the edge with 300gr bullets.
i have been looking at the 7MMRUM and 300RUM and thinking maybe just building another lighter 338 edge.

i have looked at the Remington sps but i haven't bought a factory rifle in a long time. every thing i own is custom built. so what do y'all think i should do and what caliber

In the last month I have seen a 10# 338 ax,that I wished I bought, light 338 rum that printed one hole that was a DE,8 3/4 JUST BROKE IN .I love my 338 Norma, 8 3/4 dressed to kill. I am working with it more and it is a beyond 1000 rifle

stick to the .338's man! If I have a serious hunt I always pick up my RUM. I want to build a Norma but a custom aint in the cards until the house is paid off. If your going custom go Norma, the only real reason is that you can burn 2" off barrel, which for me is nice. If you want to go factory you could try to find a .338 RUM used or buy a XCR new. I have the Rem 700 XCR and its a great rifle. really light (at least for the horsepower) , and after a bit of elbow grease it shoot awsome!
I actually printed my best 100 yard group with it the other day that I couldnt see the diffrence in holes. now i know that with a factory rifle its alwasy a gamble, but after bedding I have found that most factory rigs will shoot around .75 MOA and you get some really good ones that go under that.
best of luck on your hunt!
ohh, if you stick to 250grain and under bullets you may not need a brake depending on recoil tolerances.

I'm booked to go to Alaska in Sept caribou, wolf and maybe black bear hunting if i get lucky. The 16# 34" barrel 338 edge just doesn't sound fun to carry around. so I'm looking in to buying a lighter rifle r build one. Its hard to get away from the knock power power of the edge with 300gr bullets.
i have been looking at the 7MMRUM and 300RUM and thinking maybe just building another lighter 338 edge.

i have looked at the Remington sps but i haven't bought a factory rifle in a long time. every thing i own is custom built. so what do y'all think i should do and what caliber
7mm mag, 7mm STW, 300wm, 300 Rum.

Heck a .264wm or even .260 Rem is more than enough gun for Caribou.

They really aren't any tougher than a large Northern White Tail or Mulie.

I think any of the .264 or .284 guns would be enough for caribou. I would only worry that if you are in bear country you may end up missing the 338 if something went wrong.

I recommended the .338's because after your hunt it is still a rifle that you can pick up for any occasion. I live in central Alberta but do alot of hunting in central B.C and then Moose and bear come to mind.
If you want a gun built specifically for this hunt I would see no harm in going with a 7mm of some sort. If it is a tundra hunt I would still pick up the .338 for wind...

You have to consider the animals other than caribou that you may encounter in Alaska. Caribou country is bear and wolf country. Although it doesn't take a lot of gun to fill a caribou tag, bear encounters present other considerations.

I've been in your shoes, and I felt comfortable carrying a capable 8 1/2 lb 300 WSM with everything considered. It did everything I needed, to include a filled grizz tag.

My choice would be a good LR capable 8-10 lb rifle chambered in 300 WM.

How about a 7mm-08 topped with a 2.5-8x scope. A factory gun will probabaly come in about 7.5 lbs scoped and if you built one you could shave a pound and a half off that. It would be a great carry gun. 120 gr TSX would shoot fairly flat and would penetrate on a large beast if neccessary. 120 gr Ballistic Tips might be a better choice for the longer yardages on non-dangerous critters. It wouldn't be a 1000 yard gun but I would think it would be every bit of 500 yard capable.

My first thought is to tell you to hit the gym for the next year. But thats not what you want to hear. I would say you need a 7-9 pound rifle in 300 or 338 wsm. Make it slim and packable, I have my own version that I consider my all around rifle.

FN PBR in 300wsm (24" barrel light and swingable but takes full advantage of wsm case)
McMillan Classic
Musscle brake
Horus Vision HAWK ( no turrets to turn makes it slim and packable)
Accuracy package from Montoure County rifles

It weighs in at under 9 pounds, is capable of shots to 1000M and cost under 1800$ all togher. Now back to the gym if you dont go now you will be amazed at the diffrence a year can make.

0035.jpg

I have heard the Tikka's are good shooters and light, could get one in 300wsm or 338wm for not to much. I think Long Time Long Ranger was shooting his Tikka 338wm with 180ttsx around 3220 and took all kinds of game in Alaska with it.

This might be a inexpensive alternative for your hunt instead of going custom.

Bob

3 years ago I took my stock Remmy SPS Varminter .308 up to Canada going after caribou and black bear. I did not get a bear, but both caribou I shot dropped DRT when I made a double lung shot shooting 168gr ballistic slivertips (it was before I started reloading). Like one of the other members said, I think you will be fine with a 6.5mm/7mm or just a plain .30-06 or .308. Really depends on what distance you are shooting, both my shots were at 75 and 150 yards so nowhere near long range.

To me it depends if you want the long range. I see the post mention 7mm-08, 300wsm. My 325 wsm is 7-6-oz.I have taken elk to just about 600, at 700 YRS W/200 GR. IT ONLY has 1120 ENERGY.I think of these guns as pea shooters for LR. Guess that is because I used a 340 WM FOR 20+. Those smaller rounds dont carry the energy. My 338 Norma is 7-2 oz bare,easily packable and can shoot any distance reliable.

Caribou are easy and I have seen them nicked with an arrow that just layed down to be finished off. No will to fight and live like a whitetail or elk. Makes no difference as to rifle for them but something that shoots good on the windy tundra is always nice.

Big bears are the issue and I see them every time I hunt Alaska so a rifle capable of stopping a big bear is the key. I would not carry anything less than a big 30 cal with a 338 better. Like Bob said a tikka in 338 or 300 winchester is an excellent choice. I got a beautiful grizzly last year with my tikka 338 winchester and the 185 grain barnes ttsx. It also worked great on caribou and dall sheep. I have six tikkas and every one will easily make 800 yard shots out of the box with proper loads. I got a 25 minute private lecture at the shot show from guys at the factory in finland that make the tikkas telling me how they got their accuracy. They were extremely knowledgable on how to build an accurate rifle and are doing it right. I was very impressed with their expertise. For hunting to 800 yards that is the only rifle I would ever buy. They quit offering the 338 winchester in the US market. Get the 300 winchester in the tikka light ss and you are good for anything. It weighs 6.3 pounds. Brake not required and power to long range on big game. I have a Swarovski 4-12x50 that weighs 14.5 oz on it so scoped out 7.25 pounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.