aim small, miss small

älg

This is a question about power factor.,-. I am currently using a 4-16 scope and have had no trouble to shoot as far as my rangefinder goes (leica 900).-

However I was talking to a friend who insists in using a x24 and is now looking for more power.-

I just wonder how many of you use scopes at 24 factor and notice a difference in results at say past 700 yds. as compared to a x16?

The answer will be different if you ask about hunting or if you ask about competition.

For hunting there is some amount of human psychology involved, so take that into account. Here is what I typically do. With a scope that runs to 20X I will turn it up to max for a long shot almost every time. For a scope that runs to 32X I just turn it up until I am comfortable and at ranges under say 1200 yards that will end up about 20X give or take a few. My daughter with the same scope will just give it one twist of the power ring and that takes her to about 16-18X. She does not think the extra magnification is worth another grip and twist. I asked her about it after she shot her deer at 707 yards. I was just totally astounded by her logic. What can I say-- it works for her.

I use low magnification (less then 10x) for most of my shooting under 400 yards. When shooting above that it is a matter of conditions and what I'm shooting at. Truth be told I see no reason anyone need more then 10x for shooting under 1000 yards. Even when shooting my 24x scope I find myself keeping the settings under 20x for all but the longest shots.

It is all personal preference. Just because one guy says 10X is fine for anything under a 1000 yards it is his OPINION and not fact. Basically you need what YOU need to hit that target. If you need 32X so be it. Everyone is different

You will find a lot of variables in the answers because there are a lot of different shooting conditions.

When I got into varmint shooting I got an 8-32. I learned a lot at the range about the effect of my pulse while on 32X. I saw movement I had never seen before and I learned to time my shot to my pulse. But then it almost cost me a shot at a woodchuck at less than 50 yards when I had the scope dialed up to 32X and couldn't find him in the reduced field of view. His last mistake was giving me time to twist the power back down to 8X! When a friend and I went to KS for prarrie dogs we found that we were both keeping our scopes in the 15-20X range due to mirage, we could see better at lower magnification. Now I carry a 4-16 on my 257WBY and I don't worry about not having enough to any range I may feel like shooting, although a clay pigeon ay 720 yards could have used a little more.

So the answer all lies in what you are shooting and at what range and under what condition.

For big game here in the west, I wouldn't use anything over 15x for 2 reasons.
1) A higher power limits the field of view and makes it tougher to spot your shots.
2) In my experience, Mirage gets unmaneagable when the sun is out at higher magnifications.

Just my opinions, I am certain that many very experienced shooters use higher mag than I do.

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.