AICS stock for hunting rifle

Riflemanse

I plan to change the factory synthetic stock on my Rem 700 ADL (LA)
The rifle will be used both on the range and for hunting.

What is the general opinion on the AICS 1.5 stock for hunting? (I shoot mostly prone)

Another stock I have had my eyes on is the McMillan M40A-1.

The scope i have is a Leupold VX-III LRT 6.5-20x50 in Burris Signature Medium rings on a EGW base. Im afraid that the stock will be to low if I chose the M40A-1. I know it can be bought with an adjustable cheek pice but im not sure I loke the look of it. :)

Any other stock to recomend?

Some guys like the AICS stocked rifles and some don't , I'm in the latter as they just don't feel right to me. I personaly like the McMillan A3 & A5 style stocks with their pistol style grip and not a thumbhole. I think the next synthetic stock I get will be a Manners as they have to be better to deal with than McMillan and from what i hear their product is better. You can get a nice laminated stock from Joel Russo that is very comfortable and being wood you can snad on it in differant areas to make it fit you better. and they are about half the price of the McMillan with about 1/10 the wait time

Johan

I have an AI AW and several other rifles with HS Precision, Mcmillan and Manners stocks.

By far the most uncomfortable to shoot is the AI stock - now don't get me wrong, its great prone and to a degree is "comfortable" off the knee, but when shooting standing or off sticks it just doesn't work for me.

I don't use my AI for hunting, but I do shoot it in tactical / postional shooting competition over here (funny laws in the UK) and much of the shooting positions would be replicated in the field when engaging "game or live targets"

The AI, is very much a love it / hate it style of stock. I bought mine for a specific type of competition, not for walk around use.

My advice would be try one to see if it fits you, before jumping.

I believe there is also to be a hefty price increase soon with all AI products, so be quick!

The M40 is a nice style "traditional" stock but if you want better ergonomics the Mcmillan A3, A4, A5 and Manners Tactical MCS-GAT, T2 / T4 may be a better option for you...

i but when shooting standing or off sticks it just doesn't work for me.

...nothing to do with it weighing 18lbs then Andy?! :)

Diezel,

As has been said, the stock is definitely a 'horses for courses' thing.

Like Andy, I have an AI AW; I hunt and plink with mine and it suits me absolutely fine.

I've never handled an AICS, but one thing I suspect is that you would need to be aware of is how heavy it will be; I'm guessing getting on for double the weight of the other stocks that have been mentioned.

Hi

Thanks for your answers. Since no one that I know nearby uses an AICS stock
I cant handle one before I buy. :-(
I had promised my selfe not to build yet another heavy gun that I dont want to drag around the woods, but I sure like the look of the AICS stock, and I think it would sute me fine since I shoot mostly prone.

McMillan has a loooong delivery time right now as far as I know. I have one of theit A5 stock and I love it for prone shooting. The rifle is to heavy (17 lb) to be used standing, at least for me.

How heavy is the AICS stock?

If I go with the McM M40A-1 I have to buy some bottom metal since my rifle is an ADL and I would like to get the rounds out from the bottom of the rifle, if there are any rounds left :)

Last edited:
I have found another stock that looks promising, the Remington Varmint from McMillan. I belive I have seen a tan one here on the board with a Leupold LRT scope. Any pros/cons about the Varmint?

If you are looking into thumbhole stocks take a look at the Howler Lone Wolf Stock. They are light wieght at around 1.5lbs as I recall. I have not shot one but am having one put on at 338 Lapua Rifle build at this time. Should find out soon how it feels.

Crossover

SES50

Here is the stock in tan that I asked about. Can some one tell me what model it is.

stock.jpg

Also, can some one explain th difference between the HTG and the M40A-1 stock, if there is any?

Last edited:
Johan , check with Tom Manners about how long of a wait he has on his stocks , He makes a couple that look like they would make a great replacement for the McMamillan A3-A5's and will probably be alot lighter than the AICS stock.
Manners Composite Stocks

you can also get in touch with Joel Russo here and ask about his A5L stock which are the same profile as the McMillan A5 but made from Laminated wood. I've used several and realy like being able to trim and sand to make it fit me better.

Hi

I have sent Manner stocks an email.

The store I work at are a reseller of McMillan and I just got an order from a customer for a stock so maybe I would
order one at the same time to save up on the shipping a little.
But it´s a long wait...

Last edited:
Diezel--the stock in that picture is the Rem. varmint. It was called the Sako varmint, as it is a copy of the factory sako stock. I guess it was so popular that they decided to make one for every (almost) make of rifle. I have one on a Howa 308, I think it's a great all around stock, prone, kneeling, sitting, standing.

After a long night thinking I have made up my mind and will order a
McMillan A1-3 BDL in GAP camo, with spacer system and a Decelerator pad.
Inletted for a Lothar Walther #2200 Medium Weight Varmint.
When I rebarrel, the 28" barrel will be fluted for saving some weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.