Afternoon chase

FlGunner

Well I'll try and keep the story short…. After church, this afternoon I took care of some things around the house and then headed off to the woods. Went in blind not having scouted the area I went to. Hunted around a couple blocks walking about 2 miles and while in the process of making a loop through some mature planted pines heading back to my truck I noticed a white and blueish dot about 100 yds from me. It was a gobbler strutting. So I coon'd up to an opening and got within 60 yds. Got to seeing hens all around him and was about as close as I could get. So I began purring and a few soft 3 to 4 note yelps. Hens got to chasing each other and running all around but were working away…he followed. So I kicked off my boots and started cooning behind. Being careful, I worked within 40 yds. Once I got a clear shot I let er' eat. Sometimes when they don't want to play you got to change up on em. And yes that's a fanny pack (don't judge me 😂)…. When i go to a new area i usually go as light as possible. No vest, just a couple diaphragms, headlight, and thermocell.
IMG_1396.jpeg

Well I'll try and keep the story short…. After church, this afternoon I took care of some things around the house and then headed off to the woods. Went in blind not having scouted the area I went to. Hunted around a couple blocks walking about 2 miles and while in the process of making a loop through some mature planted pines heading back to my truck I noticed a white and blueish dot about 100 yds from me. It was a gobbler strutting. So I coon'd up to an opening and got within 60 yds. Got to seeing hens all around him and was about as close as I could get. So I began purring and a few soft 3 to 4 note yelps. Hens got to chasing each other and running all around but were working away…he followed. So I kicked off my boots and started cooning behind. Being careful, I worked within 40 yds. Once I got a clear shot I let er' eat. Sometimes when they don't want to play you got to change up on em. And yes that's a fanny pack (don't judge me 😂)…. When i go to a new area i usually go as light as possible. No vest, just a couple diaphragms, headlight, and thermocell.
View attachment 554975
What a great outing, I'm looking forward to getting out there myself