aftermarket bolt spring,shroud,firing pin

Okiecat

There must be several good bolt springs,firing pin,& shrouds for the rem 700. Which one and why. Are they really worth it. Do most custom builders recommend them?

The David Tubb products are very good, great springs and light weight firing pins make for a very quick lock time. My custom actions use his springs and titanium firing pins. There are others out there as well.

Dave

I use the units from Greg Tannel , you can buy the complete piece for around $50

That said , I have one of his lightweight firingpins replacing the regular pin and a heavier spring to further decrease the locktime. It seems that the cocking piec he uses lets you get the trigger weight a little bit lighter safely also

I also have used many Gre-Tan firing pin and bolt shroud assembly's. they are a very nice addition to a Rem700, but not mandatory unless you have a J-Lock debacle, then it is a "must have". If you have a brand new "post J-Lock" you might be wasting your time because the new stuff I have seen is good.
UB

If I replace the striker assemblies on the Rem 700s I use the Gre Tan assemblies.

I would agree with UncleB that the newer factory assemblies are quite good in spring to bolt bore fit and also locktime. The short actions for some reason have always been quite good from the factory. Its the long actions in the J-Lock era that were VERY bad. They now seem to have things figured out.

Again, the Gre Tan would be my recommendation if you want to change things out.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks to everyone. I just ordered one from Gre-Tan. My action is at least 30yrs old I know. Just wanting to eliminate varibles. Next time I have a gun built it will be with someones custom action..!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts