Africa, 2022

also don't forget a second set of locks for your gun case as TSA might cut your locks off even though they are not supposed to open your case without you standing there, also African Hunting Forum is a wealth of info
ditto on the locks, tsa once cut mine off to retrieve a cigar torch from a 50 cal ammo can i put a lock on, that was inside a locked duffel,

Last edited:
Hello all. Im heading to Africa in 2020. Species on my hit list are Kudu, Nyala and a draw animal. Im planning on taking my 30-26 Nosler with the 181 Hammer Hunters...

Question: Can anybody tell me definitively what the rules are about the head stamp on my brass vs the engraving on the barrel? My brass is 26 Nosler but the engraving says 30-26 Nosler.

That said, if they do have to match, who offers custom brass?

Thank you-
I pray they do not lose your bags. Maybe wiser to take something you can buy ammo for if you need to.

If that happens most if not all of the PH's in Africa have guns that they can let you use for a fee. I would still recommend the direct flight on Delta from Atlanta to Johannesburg. No place for your stuff to get lost. If you fly from Joburg to somewhere else then there may be a chance but hell you take that same chance here in the states. I have been out of the country ten to twelve times on hunting and fishing trips and have never, knock on wood, had anything lost or stolen. have had my bags lost multiple times just flying around in the states from Montana to New York.

Some of the companies in Africa had great rifles, but don't count on it. My first trip over my rifle didn't arrive until day 3. I used my PH's .300 WM. It was a Ruger and had a trigger pull that felt like 8 lbs..... Mine was about 1 1/2 lbs.. Huge difference. I was so glad to get my rifle to use.
Bruce

Few hunts I did,For SA fit all in my carry one but,bow.I always hunted with someone my size and we could shoot each others set up.Bow easier to get threw.Few ski race trips,3 pr skis,not show up.Went to ID not far but got there and realized took one bow out to tune,forgot the other,and ended up hunting with my Shaffer recurve:rolleyes:

Well, if you're still verticle you can still go hunting. Right now there is no better value in hunting than Africa, and it's still a wonderful adventure, I'm going again in August for Plains game in the RSA. Taking the wife for her first hunt. It's gonna be a hoot.
You guys have a great and successful time

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.