Advice on Scope Welcomed

Small Lady

Hello, I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to shooting.
Having moved from a large city, and never shooting a gun before, to living on a huge acreage, and now a gun owner.

I first bought a 22 long rifle, then a lever 30-30, but a couple weeks ago bought a Christensen Ridgeline 7mm PRC.
My new Christensen is what I want to get the scope for.
My budget is up to $5000, I've heard there are scopes that cost triple that, but they're not for me.
I know that I want at least a 50mm if not 56mm so it is bright. Magnification from say 3, 4, or 5, up to 24 or more.

Do any good scopes have built in range finders?

I'm not very good at guessing distances.

Will any scope fit on my rifle?

I have shot a few peoples rifles this past year with scopes on them, and noticed a huge amount of quality difference when looking through them, between cheap, and more expensive.

Will this rifle & scope be used for hunting, as in something you'll be carrying around?

How much would $5000 Canadian be in US dollars?

If used for hunting, some states/countries do not allow electronic targeting optical sight.

Last edited:
There are more expensive scopes to be purchased, but for MOST people the ole reliable NightForce is hard to beat. I would recommend the NX8 line and I am partial to the 4-32 X50. With the extra money saved, purchase a good quality rangefinder and you will be all set…..for the time being.

Will this rifle & scope be used for hunting, as in something you'll be carrying around?

How much would $5000 Canadian be in US dollars?

If used for hunting, some states/countries do not allow electronic targeting optical sight.
$5000 Canadian is $3700 American.

So a range finder, if built into a scope, would be illegal?

Good to know, I guess then I also buy and carry a range finder.

I will be carrying it, I love walking in the woods.

I grew up in a big city, stayed there too long.

Moved to the country in June 2021 when I took a new job, best thing that ever happened to me.
I live on a 9000 acre property owned by my boss, and am his personal assistant. This is not a Hollywood movie job, where I get him coffee, and pick up his dry cleaning.
My job description is that I do anything and everything.
Week 1 i learned how to saddle and ride a horse, drive a tractor, a semi truck, excavator, manual transmission vehicles, dirt bike, ATV, round up cattle, fly a drone, unclog a water pump, pour concrete footings, and shoot a 22, but that was a warm up for the 2 plus years since. My confidence has grown a million times over, and my boss doesn't treat me like a 93 pound girl, but sees me as an equal.
Since then he bought me a Henry 30-30 and taught me to shoot with sights, I'm not bad at it, fly his airplane and helicopter, run every piece of equipment he owns, and gives me a lot of responsibility.

I like shooting his bigger guns as well, so bought myself a 7mm.
Do I know much about guns, no I don't, so here i am to learn.

So happy to no longer be an RN, and living the country lifestyle.

Okay, so for hunting, how long a distance are you thinking a shot might be? Also is it possible you could have a close shot?

What I'm getting at is for those two questions how low a magnification setting you should have available and how high a magnification setting would be nice to have. For example a 3x to 15x might be a nice option. Like a Leupold HD5 3-15x44.

The weight of the scope will be a factor as well.

Okay, so for hunting, how long a distance are you thinking a shot might be? Also is it possible you could have a close shot?

What I'm getting at is for those two questions how low a magnification setting you should have available and how high a magnification setting would be nice to have. For example a 3x to 15x might be a nice option. Like a Leupold HD5 3-15x44.

The weight of the scope will be a factor as well.

100 meters to 600 meters typically, but could be longer.
I would need a lot of practice and be sure that I can hit exactly where I'm aiming before I tried a shot past 600 meters.
My employer let me shoot his 6.5 a bunch, and I feel good with it up to 300 meters now, but not sure of my accuracy past that.
He said his 338 magnum is good for long shots, but honestly it makes me uncomfortable to shoot, and thus only put 3 rounds through it.
Doesn't seem to bother him, but he is 6'2 tall and a muscular 230 pound man.

I had a difficult time choosing a rifle, but settled on my 7mm for in the future when I get good enough to make long range shots, then I will have enough rifle to do so.
There are too many choices it seems.
Same with scopes.

It would be much easier if only 4 scopes existed.
$200 for the 22 caliber coke can banger.
Then $1000 for an okay hunting scope, $2500 good hunting scope, and $4000 great scope.

100 meters to 600 meters typically, but could be longer.
I would need a lot of practice and be sure that I can hit exactly where I'm aiming before I tried a shot past 600 meters.
My employer let me shoot his 6.5 a bunch, and I feel good with it up to 300 meters now, but not sure of my accuracy past that.
He said his 338 magnum is good for long shots, but honestly it makes me uncomfortable to shoot, and thus only put 3 rounds through it.
Doesn't seem to bother him, but he is 6'2 tall and a muscular 230 pound man.

I had a difficult time choosing a rifle, but settled on my 7mm for in the future when I get good enough to make long range shots, then I will have enough rifle to do so.
There are too many choices it seems.
Same with scopes.

It would be much easier if only 4 scopes existed.
$200 for the 22 caliber coke can banger.
Then $1000 for an okay hunting scope, $2500 good hunting scope, and $4000 great scope.
I would stay away from the larger cartridges for now. Recoil or "kick" can cause long term shooting technique issues. His size helps him but the experience he has is the difference. Many boys and young men developed problems early on from shooting larger cartridges so don't be discouraged. Most firearms instructors know it's better to start with the lower recoiling rifles and work your way up. If you 7 PRC has a muzzle brake or if the recoil doesn't bother you then great. Otherwise a 6.5 creedmoor or even 6mm creedmoor would serve you well as a training rifle. I'd say if you could swing it a Nightforce NXS scope or even SHV would be fine. And use the rest of the money to get some good training. That training will help in all areas of your new found hobby. And from the sounds of it the training will be invaluable on the ranch. My 2 cents from the peanut gallery.

Recent Posts