Advice on New Gun Arrived Damaged Next Steps

dgascho

Recently purchased a new Springfield Model 2020 Redline. No local shops had any in stock, and couldn't get one in for a price within several hundred of what they were selling for 1 state away, as I do try to support and keep a good relationship with my local FFLs. So, paid for it online, had it shipped to local FFL.

It arrives with a couple of relatively deep scratches around the inlet area of the action, where it appears as if someone roughly tried to install the bolt without having it aligned properly. Not areas of normal friction from bolt cycling, and exposing bare metal. Similarly, there are 3 deep scratches on the bolt itself, along the fluting, again in areas that wouldn't contact the action. My point being that none of it is remotely explainable by simply testing the bolt. Lastly, the comb area of the stock has a gouge completely through the paint everything, leaving a fairly noticeable white splotch that lines exactly up with where the bolt would slam into if you were aggressive when removing. Seems pretty clear to me that for some reason, either factory or distributor was not careful when cycling the bolt several times.

Am I the one overreacting by finding that unacceptable? As in that's what you get for buying a gun online, guns get handled, etc. This is a $2000+ gun, and it wouldn't have this level of damage to it from personal use in many years, this isn't microscopic damage.

I reached out to the distributor, who said it was a warranty claim, passed it on to the manufacturer. They sent me a canned/generic email with instructions on how to send a firearm for repairs.

What do you do next? Return the gun to the distributor, get a refund, start over? Send it in to manufacturer for repairs? I'm annoyed already that I would be starting out with a "repaired" gun, but I realize it's not as simple as swap it out for another new one off the shelf. I have not yet even installed the bolt, much less fired. It's new in box. It's completely functional, and I'd consider keeping for a partial refund, but otherwise I would like a brand new gun if that's what I'm paying for.

Opinions? Quit whining? Return it to distributor? Send in for repair? Throw a Karen tantrum?

Brand new gun, not in brand new condition. Not a warranty issue in my books. If the vendor received it that way he should have sent it back himself, not sold it to you. Get a full refund, including shipping and FFL fees. Find a better vendor to deal with.

Last edited:
If what they told me is to believed, then I guess I made a mistake by not looking it over close enough when I picked it up. "because you legally accepted the product from the FFL, and there was a legal transfer, it cannot be returned". Apparently, I should have rejected it at the FFL and left it there before checking into my options. If this is true, then I guess I got what I got. Moral of the story is don't buy online from non-reputable vendors, site-unseen. I can decide if worth going through a warranty claim process direct with the manufacturer.

If what they told me is to believed, then I guess I made a mistake by not looking it over close enough when I picked it up. "because you legally accepted the product from the FFL, and there was a legal transfer, it cannot be returned". Apparently, I should have rejected it at the FFL and left it there before checking into my options. If this is true, then I guess I got what I got. Moral of the story is don't buy online from non-reputable vendors, site-unseen. I can decide if worth going through a warranty claim process direct with the manufacturer.
Sounds like BS and butt covering to me. I would be checking into the accuracy of their position.

This is correct unfortunately. Most online retailers have a disclaimer on their site saying NOT to accept/transfer the rifle if it arrives damaged.

The transferring FFL should have advised you the same.

This is correct unfortunately. Most online retailers have a disclaimer on their site saying NOT to accept/transfer the rifle if it arrives damaged.

The transferring FFL should have advised you the same.
Well that is unfortunate. Glad it isn't like that here in Canada. No FFL required to ship a rifle to me from a Canadian vendor, whether they are a private seller or retailer.

My full understanding is also that there is no return/refund once you complete the transfer. I have purchased multiple firearms online, and while I have never had a problem, I always inspect for anything that would cause me to refuse the purchase.

I suspect Springfield would take care of you (new bolt, new stock ), but I don't know how their warranty department is. Unfortunately, it sounds like the damage was caused post-production and is unlikely to be the fault of Springfield. So it may become a finger-pointing game.

Recently purchased a new Springfield Model 2020 Redline. No local shops had any in stock, and couldn't get one in for a price within several hundred of what they were selling for 1 state away, as I do try to support and keep a good relationship with my local FFLs. So, paid for it online, had it shipped to local FFL.

It arrives with a couple of relatively deep scratches around the inlet area of the action, where it appears as if someone roughly tried to install the bolt without having it aligned properly. Not areas of normal friction from bolt cycling, and exposing bare metal. Similarly, there are 3 deep scratches on the bolt itself, along the fluting, again in areas that wouldn't contact the action. My point being that none of it is remotely explainable by simply testing the bolt. Lastly, the comb area of the stock has a gouge completely through the paint everything, leaving a fairly noticeable white splotch that lines exactly up with where the bolt would slam into if you were aggressive when removing. Seems pretty clear to me that for some reason, either factory or distributor was not careful when cycling the bolt several times.

Am I the one overreacting by finding that unacceptable? As in that's what you get for buying a gun online, guns get handled, etc. This is a $2000+ gun, and it wouldn't have this level of damage to it from personal use in many years, this isn't microscopic damage.

I reached out to the distributor, who said it was a warranty claim, passed it on to the manufacturer. They sent me a canned/generic email with instructions on how to send a firearm for repairs.

What do you do next? Return the gun to the distributor, get a refund, start over? Send it in to manufacturer for repairs? I'm annoyed already that I would be starting out with a "repaired" gun, but I realize it's not as simple as swap it out for another new one off the shelf. I have not yet even installed the bolt, much less fired. It's new in box. It's completely functional, and I'd consider keeping for a partial refund, but otherwise I would like a brand new gun if that's what I'm paying for.

Opinions? Quit whining? Return it to distributor? Send in for repair? Throw a Karen tantrum?
It doesn't sound to me like they sent you anew gun!😡