Advice on building 300WinMag???

I got the 300 win mag because I could use it for both elk and big deer... It does have a pretty good recoil, but I guess I am used to it... not really too much harder than my old 30-06. I have never been a fan of muzzle brakes... they are really loud and I don't think they reduce the recoil that much... but, it is your shoulder! BTW, I bought a Savage 25-06 this winter and just mounted a new 5x20 scope on it... I can hardly wait to get to the range and break it in... I want to use it for antelope this fall in Wyoming! I think you will like the Savage a lot... definitely a best buy for the bucks! (no pun intended)

I have shot a 7mm Rem Mag pretty consistently at the range and it kicks like a f^&@*# Mule! But, I'm a bigger guy so 50 rounds at the range was still tolerable. I imagine with a decent recoil pad it could make a difference.

I know the muzzle brakes are loud, but supposedly they work. I just wanted to make sure the 300WM wasn't going to be a cannon on the shoulder.

****. Sounds like it's a nice rig... too bad they didn't keep it around, I, unlike many, am a fan of the fluted barrels. Maybe I'll do some hunting for a used one as my platform for a build.
I think Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply has an unfired takeoff in 300 Win Mag from a 112. Not sure anymore.

Yes most muzzle breaks I have shot work great it is just the noise factor that keeps me away from them. I too am a man of thicker stature and recoil doesnt bother me with in reason. But my son shoots his 14.5# 7mm rm all day long with no problem and he is only a 140# 13 year. It all comes down to what you are willing to deal with. And the 300wm has more recoil possibilities than the 7mm simply because of more powder capacities and availability of shooting heavier bullets.

Jason

If you use ear muffs like Pro Ear gold the noise will not bother you and you can still talk and hear things you can't hear without the amplication. I now hear things i couldn't hear before. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.