Advice on backpack hunt gear list

Sorry didntknow it was late october, you get know argument from me about wood stove for drying out gear. I do know one thing< you get in that back country and It really is Gods country and for me it has become an obssesion> 3 things you get the best you can afford. boots, bino's and sleeping bag any oneof those can make your trip rough!

+1 on getting the best gear you can and knowing what good gear is before you go.

Forest Service fire fighters use White's boots. They are comfortable, but HEAVY! I read once that a pound on your foot is like 5 lbs. in your pack. I believe it. I use waterproof Merrel's. They are light, soft, quiet, and give you enough support. If you expect snow, you'll want a light pair of gaiters to keep your pants dry. I also cut up a military closed foam pad to sit on in the snow. It weighs 3 oz, and is worth it's weight in gold. With a good rainsuit on, I sat down against a log and took a nap during a blizzard in Colorado a couple of years ago.

As for the Tipi tent, I'm convinced you could put a 3" round river rock in the top (or a tennis ball) and tie your rope around that and over a tree and eliminate the tent pole. That would cut out a couple of pounds on the Kifaru. I think a lighter pole would also work. But I know that tent and stove saved our hunt when it snowed 6".

White's Smokeumpers were the boot of choice, generally, if you could afford them,when I was 'jumpin' nearly 20 years ago, but guys wore Hathorns and some other brands as well. They did fine, but for big game hunting, I still prefer the Danner Raptors--not cheap, but they combine attributes I can't find in any other boot and I've looked hard for alternatives. Just me.

A bit of closed cell foam to sit on is a very good idea. Finally did it last year myself. Cut a piece just big enough for my butt and then sewed on some 2" elastic that more or less goes around my hips. That way, when I get up to move a few feet, etc., it goes with me and the wind doesn't blow it away.

On the tipi style shelters--haveing made quite a few of these over the course of several years and trying several designs, I wonder how well it would work to suspend them from a tree. I've been so busy designing them with a pole in mind, I really haven't thought about the tree idea--maybe I should put some thought into that. Finding a tree with limbs that are strong enough that extend far enough from the trunk to provide a flat space on the ground to pitch an 8' to 13' diameter tent, would be difficult, I think. Many conifer trees have pretty whimpy branches, expecially at higher altitudes. Stringing a rope between trees to hang it on---by the time you do that, if you can find a spot to do it, how much weight and bulk in rope do you end up packing? And it'll be much harder to set up than just using a pole.

Edit: ...and when the trees/branches sway in the wind, so does your tent. In heavy wind, the tent could be damaged or worse. If you had a stove going with the tent moving around...I just really don't like what could happen in this situation the more I think of it. I've gone for the super lightweight before, and what I've found over the course of 25+ years including backpacking, mountaineering, smokejumping, big game hunting, etc., sometimes saving a couple of pounds isn't worth it. We can get so caught up in shaving every ounce ( I still do) that we lose sight of the fact that to hunt hard day after day, espiecially in poor conditions, you need a shelter that provides some level of comfort and reliability for you to rest up properly and dry out for the next day.

The pole I've been using is aluminum and very low bulk when packed as all the individual lengths collapse down completely into the largest diameter piece and is subsequently pretty lightweight as opposed to designs that have several alternating size lengths that end up taking quite a bit more space when packing (don't nest down into each other) and subsequently weigh more. I've checked out the carbon center pole idea and using typical resin, the melting point is too low for me to feel comfortable using them close to a stove. I've checked out the use of high temp resins for carbon poles, but the temp numbers are still a bit concerning to me and the cost for a center pole made of carbon and hi-temp resin is crazy and the small weight savings over what I do just does not pencil out. Just my findings...

Last edited:
As for boots, I have used Cabelas mountain hunters, Kenetrek mountain extreme's but now I have a pair of Lowa's. all three are GREAT boots and any of them will keep your feet warm and dry, but I would have to say the Lowas are the bomb! especially when the terain is extremely rugged. they are expensive though but well worth it. Cabelas-$279 kenetrek $379 and Lowa $499.

Bowhunter42,did you wear out your Kenetrecks or were ther fit issues?I've got fit issues with mine and I'm looking for direction on what to get next.I think I've resigned myself to buyiny Keens and replacing them every year,at least I'll be comfortable
Tim

Hey Tim, ya it was fit issues only because the guy I bought them from didnt belive me when I told him I wore 81/2 or 9. they ended up being 9 1/2 ended up upgrading to the Lowa's for the same price. I love them. but try danners or the mountain hunters from Cabela's I have had three pairs over the last 17 years and I have NOTHING bad to say about them each pair lasted four years are better even with me wearing them to work. Jay

David Long, in his book, mentions that his favorite coldish weather boot was the Danner Canadian...just an fyi. I think that boot is a bit too hot for most of the hunting I do and why I go with the Raptor, a bit lighter, shorter (8") and less Thinsulate.

Hey Jmden what part of washington you hail from? Im over her in the cheney / spokane area.

The we(s)t side...north of Seattle a couple of hours. Lived a few years on the eastside and really enjoy it, but ultimately landed on the west side. I can see Mt. Baker in one direction and the San Juan Islands in the other...when it's not raining, that it.:D:rolleyes:

I bought that book a couple months ago, and agree it is excellent. I made a "Cliff Notes" packet off it and a half dozen other muley books also that I can print off and throw in my pack. I learned in college that I remember things much better if I type or write them also, especially if it is hunting or fishing information and not what I learned in most classes. I figured after a frustrating day pulling the 5 or 6 pages of notes out and reviewing them may give me more confidence in my current plan, or spark an idea for the next day.

I picked up some Sitka Ascent pants, Celcius bibs, and the Nimbus jacket as well as a Marmot ultralight down jacket off ebay. The fit and stretch fabric is great, I am having trouble keeping myself from wearing the bibs for work on cool mornings. I also have some nice gaiters I can pack for snow. For boots I have been using the Danner Pronghorn's and replacing them every couple years. They are sure light and comfortable, but not the quality of what you guys are using. I want to get somewhere I can try on the higher end boots before buying any. My feet stay pretty warm, I rarely use over 400gr Thinsulate boots if I will be walking at all. Mostly I get by fine in 200gr boots.

Tent floor
"-Grabber space blankets (use 2 5x7" 11oz each for 22oz)"
Don't understand the purpose of these? Take Ensolite sleep pads to sleep on. Not only terrific for the comfort..but excellent on keeping the cold from the ground getting to you.

Forget the "1 roll toilet paper" and carry a roll of HD paper towels on a roll.
Ever tried to wipe with WET TP? You CAN with wet paper towels…Trust me on that point!

Pkgs of pre-sweetened Kool-Aid

1 standard sized hand axe

2-3 LARGE sized HD trash bags

I lg can of SPAM. When it gets COLD…and your tired..the "fats" in SPAM can get you the fat calories you need to keep on trucking.
I prefer "center cut"…….but Spam Ka-bobs are nice cooked over the campfire

jmden,do you use those Danner Raptors for hiking in on backcountry trips ?They look awffull heavy for that.Have you looked at Danner's 6" high hiking boot that is basicaly the same construction?The ability to rebuild either of them is definatly appealing.
Bowhunter42,which model Lowa boot are you using?
Tim

Last edited:
jmden,do you use those Danner Raptors for hiking in on backcountry trips ?They look awffull heavy for that.Have you looked at Danner's 6" high hiking boot that is basicaly the same construction?The ability to rebuild either of them is definatly appealing.
Bowhunter42,which model Lowa boot are you using?
Tim

They are the only boot I use for deer, bear and elk hunting, except a pair of 14" White's Pacs (Elk Guide now) if cold conditions for elk. They don't seem heavy to me at all and they are quite flexible, but with enough support for heavy loads. I've packed quite a few 100+ lbs loads over a number of years in these boots. Does that help?

Hey Tim, I have the Hunter Gtx extreme by Lowa. 2 years ago I was way back in the pasayten wilderness and got my deer at the crack of dawn opening day. figure I walked a little over 15 miles that day, 13 of which I had a pack weighing 109 pounds. the boots were wonderful, No blisters and plenty of support and my feet felt great. My back and legs are a different story, lol

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.