Advice on a Coyote Gun

DesertDiesel

I have been looking into getting a rifle for Coyote hunting and was wondering if you could pass on your experiences with the various makes & models.

So far, I've looked at the Remington 700 VSF and VSSF II. The Savage 12BVSS, 12FVSS, and the 12 Varminter low profile. Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA Varmint. Browing A-bolt Varmit Stalker.

I've decided on a 22-250 Remington for the calibur. Your advice is appreciated.

My personal choice is the .243 in a bolt action or a AR-15 heavy barrel. The 22.250 is a flat shooter but suffers in the wind. The .243 I believe can take up to a 100 grain bullet although I was using Hornady 80 gr. FMJ whan I ran my trap lines from 1970 to 1985. I only had one problem with the .243 on a coyote when I blew his scapula out of the exit side. No pay day on that one.

I love my VSSF II in 204. It's very accurate almost right out of the box (post trigger work). The 22-250 will be very similar for distance and trajectory.

If you want it more for the longer range stuff I would also have to say go with a 6mm or larger.

Many folks down in Arizona are using a 17 remington for coyotes. Some down there swear that its the best coyote gun around. I use my AR here in Alaska and it works quite well. A site you can look at is www.coyotegods.com But read the rules before you post. They are a particular bunch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck,
Bill

[ QUOTE ]
I have been looking into getting a rifle for Coyote hunting and was wondering if you could pass on your experiences with the various makes & models.

So far, I've looked at the Remington 700 VSF and VSSF II. The Savage 12BVSS, 12FVSS, and the 12 Varminter low profile. Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA Varmint. Browing A-bolt Varmit Stalker.

I've decided on a 22-250 Remington for the calibur. Your advice is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have owned a few 22-250's as coyote rigs. My 2 current coyote guns are a 6mm Rem. and a 6br. the bullet of choice in the 6mm Rem is the 87 grain Vmax @ 3450fps, and in my br the 75 grain Vmax @ 3350 fps gets the nod. as others have stated for longer range shooting go with something in 6mm. Run some numbers on a ballistics program and you will see that a factory tube 22-250 (14 twist) shooting bullets to 55 grains runs out of poop fast past 350 yards, not to mention the wind drift. The 6mm Rem. also doubles as a great antelope/deer gun.

My choice is a Remington LV SF 22-250 for calling. The LV SF is lighter than the VSSF and you can get on target faster on moving coyotes. Also the shorter barrel helps with coyotes coming in fast. I also use the VSSF 22-250, with bipod, on pivots and the flats. Good out to 400 yards. I use Nosler 55 BT and max load of Varget in both 22-250's. And for long range I just bought a Sendero in 25-06 with 100 gr Nosler Bt at 3450. My experince with the 243,70 gr Nosler BT blow up and make a huge hole.

I've just finished load development on my 22.250. I have a custom trued Rem 700 w/ a Pac-Nor 4 groove 1-8" twist, #5 contour taper finished at 26" calling rife bedded in a Hogue overmolded stock. The load I have settled on is a 75gr. A-Max over 34gr. of H-4350. Oustanding long range round and coyote hammer!

I like the 30 calibers, just in case you miss /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
you can have a little fun seeing where it hits

get the 12bvss in 243win. every guy i know with the 22-250's with the slow twist barrels envy the 243 for any shot passed 350-400.

Look at the Remington LVSF its a great gun. It has a semi heavy fluted barrel and when you have to shoot at a running coyote, the gun will swing with ease. It also has a bell and carlson stock that has the pillars installed already. If I were going to buy another 22-250 for coyote hunting this would be the one.
slygunner

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.