Advantages/Disadvantages of a 20MOA Base vs 0 MOA

muggles

Sorry guys, new to all this and understand that a 20MOA base provides more elevation capability in the longer (?) ranges but know there must be a tradeoff. At what distances would a 20 MOA be advantageous to a 0 MOA? Just can't seem to get a grasp on it. Could anyone share?

Some say scopes dial more accurate in the middle ranges Instead of being top out. 20 MOA base lets you do more of your dialing in the middle off the scope dial.

I've had only had one 20 MOA base and had no problem getting a 100 yard zero.

My personal feeling is they are only useful if your shooting beyond 1k yards. Most rifles can get to 1k with 1- 1/2 revolutions on the dial. I don't shoot past 1k so not useful to me.

Well first it depends on your Scope adj. And your intended shooting range . Ok if your a hunter only and shoot it to 500 yrds I would say skip the 20 moa base . Now if you shoot like I do out to 3000 yrds plus well then 20 moa isn't even close to helping you .
If you scope has 60 moa of adj. To actually get the full 60 moa you would need 30 moa of base /adj. ring combo . Or half of your total available elevation.
My Elr Rig I have a 55 min . Base and my scope has 125 min. Of elevation available.
I wanted a 60 min. base but couldnt find one at the time .
Back to your post , 20 min. Is the norm most guys use .

Rum Man

Sorry guys, new to all this and understand that a 20MOA base provides more elevation capability in the longer (?) ranges but know there must be a tradeoff. At what distances would a 20 MOA be advantageous to a 0 MOA? Just can't seem to get a grasp on it. Could anyone share?

As @Rum Man noted, we need more input! "IF" your intent is for long-range hunting/shooting, let's say 1000 yards, go with a 20 MOA canted rail, even if your scope has sufficient internal adjustment. Below is from an optics SME ...

20 MOA.jpg

Sorry for not including more information. I am having a custom SML built with the intention of it being a 500-600 yd hunting rifle. Will be topped with a Leupold VX5HD 3-15X44 Firedot. Really appreciate the time you all have taken to share your insight and experience.

With that being said, would my best choice be 0 MOA?

Last edited:
Sorry for not including more information. I am having a custom SML built with the intention of it being a 500-600 yd hunting rifle. Will be topped with a Leupold VX5HD 3-15X44 Firedot. Really appreciate the time you all have taken to share your insight and experience.

With that being said, would my best choice be 0 MOA?
Your drop at 600 yards will be something like say 10-12 MOA so you will have no trouble dialing that and being in the center area of the scope with a zero MOA rail( your scope has 75 MOA total travel; 37.5 up and 37.5 down if it is centered at zero).
On another note look at the cross hairs of the firedot reticle at 600 yards, I find them a bit bulky.

It totally depends on how many minutes of angle your scope has in elevation adjustment and how far you want to shoot. Most good scopes that are adequate for long range shooting have a minimum of 80 minutes of angle with some over 120 minutes of angle. A 20 or 40 minute of angle base mount keeps your scope from topping out at 1000 yard targets as it gives you more elevation availability.
You most likely don't need a 20 MOA base mount if you are only shooting 500 yards or less. But, if you intend to shoot longer yardage, you should probably mount one on your rifle.

I build 3 or 4 guns a year for my hunting. I have only shot a couple animals at 630 yards.
Usually I stalk to 500 yards.
I have sighted in a number of rifles to 600 yards and never plan to go over 8 moa away from a 200 yard zero. Short actions can't do that, so I limit them to 500 yards.

So 20moa offset in scope base? No, that would be poison.

IMO, the best approach, using your ballistic calculator, is to determine the amount of drip required for the maximum range/conditions you intent to shoot, and determine whether your scope/mounts will accommodate the distance without running to the extreme of your turret travel. For my hunting cartridges(g7 BC-+.3: velocity-+2950FPS), I have not required canted mounts for hunting to a max of 1200 yards. My scopes are 30mm and typically have 100MOA of travel. On the other hand, my PRS rimfire rifles used for +300 yard shooting require 20-40 MOA mounts depending on the turret range of the scope. Keep in mind that you need to keep an eye on your scope height/clearance as the objective will be closer to the barrel, potentially making contact, or interfering with flip covers.

Clark and Greyfox, after all the input from all you fine folk I would agree that I probably don't have a need for a 20MOA base. But, what would be the disadvantage of having it?

With a 20 MOA rail you will not be in the center of the lens unless you dial 20 MOA. Imagine if you were using the reticle to hold over, the 20 MOA dot in the image attached is where you would be in the lens.
MOA.jpg

Clark and Greyfox, after all the input from all you fine folk I would agree that I probably don't have a need for a 20MOA base. But, what would be the disadvantage of having it?
No real disadvantage Other then if you already owned a a standard (0 MOA) base, you could save some money.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.