adjusting burris inserts

bob4

Can I make adjustments from 50 yds? The only thing wrong with my scope ( Swarovski) is it is shooting 1 inch high at about 50 yds. This distance I can shoot from my home. There is appox 140 clicks total on the scope so if I zero it @ 50 while set in the 70 click range I'm hoping I'm good. I can get to a 100 yd range easy enough but I like to get on paper from home and move on to 100. I am guessing that 1 inch high at 50 may turn out to be 2 @ 100. This is a 243 and I haven't run it by a chrono yet.

Can I make adjustments from 50 yds? The only thing wrong with my scope ( Swarovski) is it is shooting 1 inch high at about 50 yds. This distance I can shoot from my home. There is appox 140 clicks total on the scope so if I zero it @ 50 while set in the 70 click range I'm hoping I'm good. I can get to a 100 yd range easy enough but I like to get on paper from home and move on to 100. I am guessing that 1 inch high at 50 may turn out to be 2 @ 100. This is a 243 and I haven't run it by a chrono yet.

This is just me but if you already know you're 1" high at 50 yards and you want to zero it at 100 yards, make no adjustments until you can get to the range to have "actual" drop/zero setting, regardless if you have chronoed your load or not ... but that's me.

Also, what's adjusting the Burris inserts on your title has to do with your issue? Perhaps I missed something.

On any case, good luck!

bob4,

"Re: adjusting burris inserts"

Did you start with a centered reticle? If not you might want to count the clicks from one end of the turret to the other and center them. Then see where it's hitting.

I sighted in a rifle with the Burris inserts just to see if I could do it. If you center it and fire a group at fifty yards. Get back to us with your ring spacing and where it hits and I will try to help you with the correct inserts.

Just a couple thoughts for you to consider.

You turrets don't have to be centered when you mount the scope if you want/need more adjustments for LR shooting. Often times I will set it at about 25% then use the inserts to get me as close to my desired zero as possible. That then gives me 75% of my turrets to use in the field. You can go lower than this but depending on the scope and how far you go to the upper or lower extremes of the turret you will loose accuracy or sometimes the reticle will stop moving before you get to the end of the turret rotation. Plus 25% is almost always enough to allow me to do what I want in the field.

Plug your data into a ballistic app or the one on this site and manipulate the numbers to get the zero you want at 100 yards or whatever distance you zero. Then look at what the drop number is at 50 yards. This will tell you where you need to be at 50 yards then you can make adjustments with the offset inserts and check it at your house at 50 yards. Then all you'll need to do is fine tuning at your real zero distance when you get to the range.

Hope this helps.

Scot E.

OP noted only shooting 1" high at 50 yards, no misalignment issue was ever mentioned ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/wcRAX5OLtJE?t=127[/ame]

Unless I misconstrued his post, I don't think he's got any problem, other than trying to save time and ammo to get into paper at 100 yards.

OP noted only shooting 1" high at 50 yards, no misalignment issue was ever mentioned ...

https://youtu.be/wcRAX5OLtJE?t=127

Unless I misconstrued his post, I don't think he's got any problem, other than trying to save time and ammo to get into paper at 100 yards.

Not sure if you are referring to my post or not.

The inserts work the same for horizontal or vertical alignment issues so he can fix his impact error at 50 yards as this is likely close to a 300 yard zero depending on his setup. I personally don't zero that far out but YMMV.

I mentioned the rest of the info because he stated he was hoping that 70 clicks would be enough for what he wanted to do. He would need to make that decision first before he messes with inserts.

Scot E.

Not sure if you are referring to my post or not.

The inserts work the same for horizontal or vertical alignment issues so he can fix his impact error at 50 yards as this is likely close to a 300 yard zero depending on his setup. I personally don't zero that far out but YMMV.

I mentioned the rest of the info because he stated he was hoping that 70 clicks would be enough for what he wanted to do. He would need to make that decision first before he messes with inserts.

Scot E.

I am fully aware how the inserts work and a big fan of them but as I previously noted, OP did not mention any other issues other than being 1" high at 50 yards.

Most of my hunting rifles are zeroed at 200 yards and certainly would not make adjustment at 50 yards regardless if my zero is 200 or 300 when I'm 1" high at 50 yards ... but that's just me.

Only my .22 LR rifles are zeroed at 50 yards for gopher shooting but can dial them up to 250 yards. Perhaps he'll chime in and elaborate.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.