ADG vs Lapua Preliminary Comparison

jb1023

So I decided to do a little test between these two makers of 6.5 CM brass. ADG got on my radar via a thread on 338 and then because they will apparently be making brass for the Sherman Short. This is just a rudimentary comparison I did for fun because I see others doing similar tests but have not noticed any using these brands. I have just basic reloading equipment and by no means lab grade measuring devices. I use a $20 "jewelers" scale I picked up on ebay that weighs to the .02 grain and my calipers are unbranded but look exactly like many of the ones I see in pics on this and other sites. The only shoulder gauge I have is the one for my 6.5 SS which does not touch at the same point on the shoulder on 6.5 SS brass as it does on the 6.5 CM brass but should be fine for this test. This was done using 5 pieces each of randomly selected un-fired virgin brass and un-fired intact primers. The Lapua is obviously sm primer and the ADG is lg primer. If I am missing something that would help make this a better comparison or if a different method should be used please let me know.

The 5 pieces of ADG I used for my test.
IMG_1772_cleaned.jpg

The 5 pieces of Lapua I used for my test.
IMG_1773_cleaned.jpg

Left is ADG and right is Lapua.
IMG_1774_cleaned.jpg

Results.
IMG_1775_cleaned.jpg

Last edited:
Those two brands have very close consistency except one is a small primer. Anyone have any experience with the ADG?

This DEFINITELY has my interest. Found the review from your post on LRO. Please DO update your findings as you load and begin burning powder!

I actually sold off my Lapua as the results of my bench test were so similar I decided I could use that $100 for something else. Next up will be ADG vs Peterson, thinking I will buy some Peterson lg primer. Winner of that will get my 6.5 CM and 338 LAI, next project, ADG will get the 6.5 SS regardless (unless the unexpected happens and it is crap then I will stick with forming my own from SAUM but don't see that happening).

The 100pcs of Peterson I bought went 169.2-171.0 over 50 were 170.2 This was large rifle. I loaded it right out of the box after deburring the necks i/o. It builds speed quicker than the norma did in the creed. Looking forward to how it compares to ADG. Be nice to have stout close tolerance domestic brass from more than 1 outlet

Tagging in.

I bought some ADG 300 Win brass. Going to use them for new load development with some 215 and 230 bergers.

Very nice looking brass. Primer pockets are clean and flash holes are centered. No burs. No dents in the necks. Looks like all I'd need to do is chamfer and debur.

I currently use Nosler brass. I do zero brass prep with it before first firing and get great results. Nosler is said to be soft but I'm just starting with the 2nd loading.

received my ADG 300 win mag brass and compaired to my Lapua brass
LAPUA ADG
weight high 217.1 251.0
low 215.4 247.6
avg 216.2 249.6

H2O high 93.2 89.2
low 92.8 88.3
avg 93.1 88.8

base above belt .508 .5065
flash hole .077 .079
neck .014 .0145
primer pocket .209 .2095

primer pocket dia very noticeable when seating primers have to see how they hold up. all measurements are ten piece avg. will do load work up after new year. ADG brass is a quality looking product no dents or dings. no burrs on flash holes, all lengths are consistant. only concern is the looser primer pocket.

lucky enough to have 140 new pieces left the 50 pieces I am using have over twenty reloads on them. bought the ADG for possible 6.5-300 project with bergers new 155

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts