Add on cheek riser?

Roy, where did you get the leather and supplies to build your cheek rest? And tips on what to do to elevate the rest 2"?

Roy, where did you get the leather and supplies to build your cheek rest? And tips on what to do to elevate the rest 2"?

There's all kinds of benefits of living in a western town.:)

I visit the local saddle shop where they have boxes of scraps. They sell the stuff by the pound. I scrounge around for what I think I will need for a project.

Chap leather is good. Latigo is stiffer.

I use Gorilla glue to stick the leather to the Velcro.

The sticky back on the Velcro is sufficient for the stock. Thus no modifications to the stock are necessary.

The spacer can be any available material that is easy to form. Wood, leather, plastic etc. Simply shape it to fit the top of the stock.

I learned quickly that the only reason cheek risers are round on top is probably because it naturally bends that way. I found that a little more flat on top with rounded edges fit better under the cheek bone.

The fellow that was shooting the one with the hair on it was able to spot the bullet from shot to impact for every shot he took. The cheek piece was part of that. Wish I had eyes like that:)

HTH

royinidaho said:
There's all kinds of benefits of living in a western town.:)

HTH

Hmmm, I just can't seem to think of any...lol.....wait no that's where I live that's got no benefits....

Would you be willing to take a pic with your rifle strapped up so we can see how the slings work?

Chris

Not a stupid question by any means. I come up with some off the wall things.:rolleyes: But they work in the field.

Its part of the carry system. Pretty much self designed. Notice the sling stud on the bipod. There is one on both sides. The bipod is constantly attached and the sling is out of the way for a rushed prone shot if necessary.

These heavy rigs are way more than a single shoulder can stand for very long. Thus this innovation.

I carry across my shoulder with the gun in front. Quite nice I'd say...

Kind of Hollywoody but functional.

I just, FINALLY scoped my rifle yesterday. And was researching cheek rests when I saw this thread. Love the idea of the covering on the pad for cold weather cheek comfort. But, my wife and I are sharing the rifle, and may need to adjust from used to user. So..... what are your thoughts on getting one of the Kydex adjustables and gluing some form of covering on it? Thanks for any input, except getting a rifle for her :D ..... It took years to complete this one! :) memtb

I have used one of those elastic butt stock cartridge holders and just place a piece of closed cell foam or two under it to make a cheek riser. Works really well. I used the blue closed cell foam sleeping bag mats that Walmart has. I have used the same closed cell foam placed under some split elk hide leather that I shaped to fit my stock and used lacing made out of the same leather to lace it up tight at the bottom of the stock on my 1874 Sharps 45-70 rifle. Using the vernier long range sight you really need a good SOFT riser or you will have a bruised jaw after a few rounds of a compressed case full of FFG black powder and a 520 gr bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.